People who bought a BP/W before trying one, were you happy with your decision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not try a BP/W before buying a DSS setup from another diver. I used it for my first open water dive and have never used anything else (aside from a few experimental dives with no BC).
what is DSS setup mean.

I changed to BP/W based solely on the research (mainly on SB) as well. No regrets there.

First time in the pool with a BP/W, most noticeable changes were

1. More free around the torso, there is no hugging feeling as with a jacket BCD
2. Trim definitely feels more natural
3. Much more easier to utilise D rings, as the rental jacket BCDs I've used before always had D rings in weird places that either dangle when clipped, cannot be found easily, or is just plain impossible to clip off without contorting yourself.
4. No feeling of the BCD riding up, due to the crotch strap on the BP/W

However, as much as I love the BP/W, there are definitely some changes that you have to get used to before feeling comfortable with it.

1. Setting up is a more complicated process compared to the jacket BCD, but once you get it correct, it will feel loads better than a jacket BCD. Just experiment around with different configurations, tweaking the height of the wing on the backplate, the length of the straps, the position of the D rings etc until you find a configuration that you like.

2. No pockets that are usually available with jacket BCDs. I used a thigh pocket and also changed to the longhose configuration in order to take full advantage of the tried and true Hogarthian configuration.

3. As you would likely be spending much more time in trim now, you might have to get used to doing skills in trim (such as regulator recovery, mask clearing, dumping air, shooting a DSMB etc) rather than in the upright position as is common with jacket BCDs.

4. You might need some time to get accustomed to the rear dump, as BP/Ws usually have rear dumps that face inside (facing the diver), rather than outside (facing the surface).

5. Learn how to don and doff a BP/W harness (involves pulling the D ring on each of the shoulder straps). It will be a piece of cake once you get the skill down.

6. Experiment with weights and again, as the amount and distribution of weights will definitely have changed. Also consider whether a weight belt will interfere with the waist strap of your harness.

7. Had no issues with staying upright on the surface, but read that some divers had to experiment around on their weight distribution to being faceplanted into the water on the surface.

TL: DR, changing to a BP/W before trying it out shouldn't be too much of an issue, but would recommend you to factor in some time to get comfortable with the BP/W, and not just push your limits on the first dive, or leave the first dive with the BP/W until the the day of your expensive dive trip.

what is a thigh pocket? Do you have a pic of that? What is it for?

Carry stuff. Thigh mount simpler when you don't have integrated pockets like a jacket BCD does.
However, "stuff" doesn't include weights. Usually too low for proper trim, and not easily kept in position in a big pocket.

I am a firm believer in the theory that there are very few if any absolutes in life and that everything is a compromise. Often, this means balancing some conflicting goals. This was what I ran into on the path that led me to a BP/W.

I am an unapologetic vacation diver. I hop on an airplane and head south to warm (preferably turquoise) water to dive. Like many, after I got certified (more than 20 years ago), I just wanted my own gear and cost was the driving force. My first BCD was a cheap jacket style BCD that, to be honest with, I hated after I did one trip with it. From there I went through a couple back inflate BCDs that I liked, but I was now in the search for something more "travel friendly". Eventually, this led me to a Cressi Air Travel. It was light, It was back inflate. It was weight integrated. On paper, it looked like the perfect BCD for what I was looking for. What didn't show up on paper was that it also happened to be about 4 pounds positively buoyant. I had to add about 4 pounds of lead just to offset the BCD.

Then, I saw an ad for a Hog aluminum Backplate here on SB and the price was right. I got that and set up my first BP/W (I also took advantage of the $149 deal for Hog 23 pound wings that was available at the time). I did my first trip with it at the end of October.

Was it perfect? No. Like I said, I don't think anything is perfect.

Was it a good compromise? Absolutely. It was comfortable. It was stable. Although it was heavier than a dedicated travel BCD, it was not significantly heavier. I did not rig it as a true "Hogarthian" set up (despite what my name would tend to indicate), but rather rigged it to allow quick and easy adjustment. While this might potentially introduce failure points that a single piece of webbing wouldn't, it was a compromise that worked for me. The one aspect of the BP/W that I did not like was a direct result of the water temp. The water temp was (for me) ideal, 82-84F. This meant that I was not wearing a wetsuit, but that I dove all week in a swim suit, rash guard & 3mm vest. By the end of the week, the crotch strap was "chaffing".

So, to answer the OP's question, was I happy with my decision? Yes I am very happy with my decision. It is not the perfect solution, but for me, it is a compromise that I am extremely happy with, and I might have found a solution that is as close to my ideal as I can get (for now).
It could be worth looking at different webbing for the crotch strap. You could go softer, narrower (1.5") or both. The one on my harness is a completely different material to the rest of the harness and I don't generally have any issues with chafing.

After 35 dives with a BP/W I have to say its OK, but I don't understand what all the excitement's about. It took a couple of dives to get my weight in the right place so I didn't feel tippy, but at that point it was not much different from my old rental quality BCD. It was easier to get on and off, which is worth something.

Yup, what @rsingler showed you. Quite useful when you need storage space for things. I have my wetnotes, backup mask, SMB, spool, and mesh bag inside.
An alternative to the thigh pocket would be tech shorts (pair of short pants with pockets on them), or glue on thigh pockets that you glue onto your wetsuit.

...Our return rate is effectively zero, maybe 4-5 out of many thousands over ~15 years....

That's what I was going to say also. Even if a person didn't like it, the resale value and how quickly they get snapped up are incredible.

Absolutely. I discovered Scubaboard during the hiatus in my original OW class between the pool/class sessions and the open water dives, and by the time it was done I had a Halcyon BP/Wing. I've never used a poodle jacket after that. Setting it up myself was no problem and the GUE guys I ran into later never did more than tweak the position of the D-rings.
Exact same thing with me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom