People who bought a BP/W before trying one, were you happy with your decision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I am very happy with BP/W and would recommend for all divers. Steel plates are not great for travel thou....

After getting certified and doing my first dive trip, I came back hungry for more. Chatted with some people at my LDS and going with a BP/W was recommended pretty strongly. Absolutely the right decision. Just gave that rig to a buddy because it's bulkier than I'd want not and I'm pretty much only SM. Thinking about picking up something extremely minimal for times when I don't feel like slinging twins (however rare).

Ho
I might be the only one on SB to have regressed back to using a BCD for single tank diving. I use a BP&Wing for doubles and my rebreather, but the Zeagle Express Tech for my tank diving. It's very similar to a BP&Wing, but I don't miss the rigid plate. No, not one bit. It's easier/lighter to pack/travel with, has all the benefits of a BP&Wing, and the webbing routing at the waist is vastly superior making it far, far easier to get in and out.

Have you ever had any issues in adjusting between the typical BCD vs BP/W system? You get used to knowing exactly whats what on your gear so when shifting between typical BCD and a BP/W I would guess there may be issues in for example where you stow your SMB, knife, etc.

I only ask because I have actually been contemplating exactly this. I have an Aqualung Axiom right now and am getting into technical diving in February. So was wondering whether I should get rid of the Axiom and buy a smaller wing for recreational diving or keep the Axiom.

Cheers :)

Yes, definitely ! (I was absolutely sure that I would love it before buying the first one - second hand)
And I bought one for my son (15 YO) and I gave it to him during our last dive vacation in september without any previous notice...
After 2 minutes just to figure how to use the crotch strap he was in the water, and at the end of the dive he said that he want only this kind of BCD because it leave you much more freedom ...

Yes, I got what I desired. Especially because this was a Deep Sea Supply rig, which is so elegant and easy to assemble and disassemble. From it I moved on to Sidemount though.

I did not try a BP/W before buying a DSS setup from another diver. I used it for my first open water dive and have never used anything else (aside from a few experimental dives with no BC).

Have you ever had any issues in adjusting between the typical BCD vs BP/W system?
Never and I change between a rebreather on a BP/Wing, Nomad side mount and my Express Tech all the time. I set up my kit so that it can move from one to the other and I keep it very, very simple. Things like attaching my z-knife to my Shearwater makes it easy. All of my BCs (including BP&Wings) have one of Tobin's Butt plates on the crotch strap, so spools, SMBs, Go-Pros and more always go there. The only change up that gives me pause is that my Nomad (sidemount) has the primary inflator/deflator on the starboard side. FWIW my Rebreather is equipped with Dive Rite's awesome dual bladder rebreather wing and my Nomad is also a dual bladder since I rarely dive with a dry suit.

As one person suggested, a traditional BC is a lot easier to get on and off. BP&Wing users learn how to get around this, but I like something that I don't have to "learn" how to put on and off and that's easy in case of a rescue. Any back-inflate BCD with a crotch strap and two tank bands will give you the same stability as a BP&Wing. If you go with a hybrid, like the Express Tech then you have the best of both worlds. I think Oxy-Chek makes a similar model and Dive Rite used to. BTW, Edd Sorenson likes an "H" configuration on his BCs and I need to try this out. The concept intrigues me and I respect Edd's opinion. There's nothing wrong with BP&Wings, but it's not the only thing out there. We have a lot of great options and obsessing over one solution makes you blind to what's out there. Obviously, if all you own is a hammer then the world becomes a nail. I like diversity.

Did my OW in a jacket and didn't like the feeling. Instructor used a BP&W during my check out dives and I thought that looks interesting.

Bought one shortly after and never looked back.

Each system has its positives and negatives though so it is worth doing a fair bit of research before buying.

I am a firm believer in the theory that there are very few if any absolutes in life and that everything is a compromise. Often, this means balancing some conflicting goals. This was what I ran into on the path that led me to a BP/W.

I am an unapologetic vacation diver. I hop on an airplane and head south to warm (preferably turquoise) water to dive. Like many, after I got certified (more than 20 years ago), I just wanted my own gear and cost was the driving force. My first BCD was a cheap jacket style BCD that, to be honest with, I hated after I did one trip with it. From there I went through a couple back inflate BCDs that I liked, but I was now in the search for something more "travel friendly". Eventually, this led me to a Cressi Air Travel. It was light, It was back inflate. It was weight integrated. On paper, it looked like the perfect BCD for what I was looking for. What didn't show up on paper was that it also happened to be about 4 pounds positively buoyant. I had to add about 4 pounds of lead just to offset the BCD.

Then, I saw an ad for a Hog aluminum Backplate here on SB and the price was right. I got that and set up my first BP/W (I also took advantage of the $149 deal for Hog 23 pound wings that was available at the time). I did my first trip with it at the end of October.

Was it perfect? No. Like I said, I don't think anything is perfect.

Was it a good compromise? Absolutely. It was comfortable. It was stable. Although it was heavier than a dedicated travel BCD, it was not significantly heavier. I did not rig it as a true "Hogarthian" set up (despite what my name would tend to indicate), but rather rigged it to allow quick and easy adjustment. While this might potentially introduce failure points that a single piece of webbing wouldn't, it was a compromise that worked for me. The one aspect of the BP/W that I did not like was a direct result of the water temp. The water temp was (for me) ideal, 82-84F. This meant that I was not wearing a wetsuit, but that I dove all week in a swim suit, rash guard & 3mm vest. By the end of the week, the crotch strap was "chaffing".

So, to answer the OP's question, was I happy with my decision? Yes I am very happy with my decision. It is not the perfect solution, but for me, it is a compromise that I am extremely happy with, and I might have found a solution that is as close to my ideal as I can get (for now).

I may be in the minority here, but I found a backplate to be somewhat unstable when I dove mine. Fortunately all the wings I own also fit fine on my soft backpack (older version of the Scubapro X-Tek) and it is far more comfortable for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom