Pencil dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the wooden pencils that Ikea gives out for free.

I just shrink wrap the pencil (if not the pencil will spilt in half after some time), and attach it to the bungee in my wetnotes.

Works okay thus far (apart from one time where the pencil floated away due to not being attached properly to the bungee, but I had multiple backups in my wetnotes).

I like the multipoint pencils like this -
We are doing research and need lots of pencils for the team. They are cheap, don’t have wood to split, and easy to switch out tips to keep sharp. Use surgical tubing or bunge to attach to a slate.

I like the multipoint pencils like this -
We are doing research and need lots of pencils for the team. They are cheap, don’t have wood to split, and easy to switch out tips to keep sharp. Use surgical tubing or bunge to attach to a slate.
You people and your warm water no gloves diving. Switching those tips in dry gloves is laughable.

It is ok, I'm just jealous.

That’s where the pilot croquis come in, fantastic even in kubi dry gloves.

That’s where the pilot croquis come in, fantastic even in kubi dry gloves.
Yep, I still have a few left. Maybe something equally good will come out before I need more.

Yep, I still have a few left. Maybe something equally good will come out before I need more.
You can still buy the leads if you look on uk eBay

The technical name for mechanical pencils with oversize leads is a "lead holder." The Croquis uses a 3.8mm lead which is an oddball size. There are a handful of lead holders with 3mm and 4mm leads, but the most common large size is 5.6mm (aka 22 caliber :))

Here's Amazon searches for the three sizes. Maybe one of these will work OK.
3mm lead holder
4mm lead holder
5.6mm lead holder

One other thing, it looks like the Croquis came standard with an H lead which is equivalent to a #3 on the American scale. You probably don't want anything softer than an HB (#2 American) because it will smear. Anything with a number in front of a B like "3B" is too soft (the larger the number, the softer the lead). It's something to watch out for since these thicker leads are mostly used for sketching and shading which generally requires softer leads.

How well those mechanical pens hold against water exposure, especially salt water?
What I like about Croquis is there isn't much mechanics and it's all plastic anyway.

I like the aqua pencil better than the Croquis, it’s less bulky and stores on the wet notes nicely.
You have to remove the rubber piece, I don’t have a use for it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom