DIR- Generic Pilot Croquis Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be hesitant to buy another Rite in the Rain pencil, they discontinued the one I have but also discontinued the lead as well.
(Amazon) 5.6mm lead refills

Rite in the Rain specifies 3.35" (85mm) x 5.6mm lead. It's a 2B which seems a little of the soft side (Croquis used a much harder H). Maybe because that's the easiest to find?

[Edit - Croquis did come in softer leads as well, see next posts.]

(Amazon) 5.6mm lead refills

Rite in the Rain specifies 3.35" (85mm) x 5.6mm lead. It's a 2B which seems a little of the soft side (Croquis used a much harder H). Maybe because that's the easiest to find?
Croquis leads are/were available in various hardnesses, not just H, all the way to 6B.

Croquis leads are/were available in various hardnesses, not just H, all the way to 6B.
Thanks for the correction. The ones I saw on scuba sites were H, but they clearly came in softer leads as well.

1000007377.png

I purchased replacement 6b leads on Aliexpress. I got two boxes of six for $6.28 shipped, basically a lifetime supply for me and they work exactly like the original.

5.6mm Mechanical Pencil Lead Refill HB/2B/4B/6B/8B Painting Automatic Pencil Refills

I just bought a package of these pencils from Amazon.
5.6MM Lead Holder
5.5" long, x .5" diameter. I'll probably add a bit of surgical tubing for a better grip surface, but other than that it looks like it will work fine for a while. Eventually the spring will rust; I've found what could be a suitable stainless steel replacement at McMaster but won't know for sure until I place the order.

I believe they can be shortened by an inch or so, but the rear cap threads on so I'll have to figure out a replacement or tap size if I attempt to modify it.

I think a tiny o-ring applied to the rear end of the lead should keep it from sliding out through the front. It'll have to sized just right as there's only a little clearance between the lead and the inner tube. Maybe one of those tiny rubber bands used in orthodontics would work as well?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom