Pencil dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at a mechanical pencil, aka "lead holder" in larger diameter sizes. You can see all the lead options along with some recommended pencils/holders here: Mechanical Pencil Lead Size Comparison | JetPens

The Pilot Croquis linked above from Piranha and Amazon is also their recommendation for 4mm leads.

Aqua Pencil is the best and lasts a long time. Refillable lead. I’ve used one for about 14 years. My backup pencil is one of those flat carpenter pencils. Cut it to the length you like. Drill a hole in the end and tie a piece of string or cord through the hole. Tie the other end to your slate. The lead doesn’t fall out of them as easily as a regular pencil.

I've found Croquis(es) to be very reliable underwater. You can even put some thin bungee through the top and knot it off. Makes it very secure.

I use, for every kind of pencil, a piece of heat shrink tube where I put a string, a bungee or whatever with a small knot at the end.
It is very effective, do not slip away and very cheap.

Just trawling these posts and am so glad you had this link, couldn’t remember what they were called!! Thanks so much
These are no longer made.

We typically used "grease pencils" or so-called "China Markers" years ago, attached by some cheap-o surgical tubing to plastic clip boards or even scrap polymer sheet from a local plastics place -- just a few bucks, tops.

Provided that the pencils were allowed to dry, they also lasted quite a while; and none of us really wanted that "grab your ankles" dive shop experience . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 3.56.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-07 at 3.56.48 PM.png
    74.1 KB · Views: 18
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom