Pelican 1650 case...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa M

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting this case to travel with, but I have read some people posting that the airlines are getting more strict/uptight about their 62" dimension limitations (L+W+H).

Knowing that the 1650's dimensions are 64"...has anyone experienced or know if this case creates problems? I just read that penalties can run $80 per leg of a trip for an "oversized" case!

Also, does anyone have any experience with this case...good or bad case to carry gear (drysuit, fins(quattros), bc, etc...)?

Thank you very much!!:)
Lisa

I cannot speak to the airline question, but so far I have traveled with two of them with no issue. I pack in one: mask in case, BP?wing, 5 m or dry suit, jet fins, reg bag, booties, gloves, dry box save a dive kit, lights etc. with no problems.

Ken

I use a 1650 case. My guess is that 2" is too close for them to measure accurately. In addition, there are always quite a few pieces that look larger, the 1650 is big but not really bigger than normal suitcases. The 1650 just barely holds 1 set of gear. Keep in mind that the case itself is pretty heavy. I use a BP/wings which are pretty light, and my gear in the box still weighs in at about 62-66 pounds. This means it has to be completely dry otherwise I will go over the 70 pound limit.

Remember that Pelican cases almost certainly indicate "something valuable inside." My personal preference is to travel with a generic-looking hard or semi-hard bag and do my own padding on the inside, if needed. In any event, avoid stickers on the outside that make your bags more "attractive" by shouting "hey! $3000 of dive equipment inside"

Covered in the "search for samsonite" theads in greater detail.

I have been traveling for work with Pelican cases of various sizes for years with few problems.
The biggest problem is weight, the case itself weighs more than a suitcase, putting you closer to the dreaded 70 pound limit. Some airlines love to charge the heavy bag fee.
Once the box is full there is very little give to squeeze in the extras you pick up on your trip.
You can't beat the security (short of stealing the box or cutting the lock) and protection of a hard case. You would be surprised at how easy it is to open soft luggage and close it again without any signs you've been there.
Be carefull of the lock you use. If it sticks out from the case the lock holes can break, Pelican will replace the case for free (less shipping) but it is a hassel. IME

BOATS313 once bubbled...
You can't beat the security (short of stealing the box or cutting the lock) and protection of a hard case.

That's exactly what happens -- they steal the case then cut the lock. Often the airlines will call it a "mysterious disappearance" of your luggage. As it isn't a "theft" you are usually SOL with trying to collect from your insurance company for the loss.

jeffsterinsf once bubbled...

That's exactly what happens -- they steal the case then cut the lock.

After over 50 international trips with 5 Pelican cases and 4 no-name hard cases on each, I have never lost one. Could just be good luck. Not marking the cases, or any luggage for that matter, with anything to hint at the contents helps too.

BOATS313 once bubbled...
Be carefull of the lock you use. If it sticks out from the case the lock holes can break, Pelican will replace the case for free (less shipping) but it is a hassel. IME

I travel with a 1650 as well. I use the long shank locks that pelican sells for the case and tape them down with duct tape. It keeps them from flopping around and prevents them from getting snagged.

While marking them in ways that suggest that there is dive gear inside is not a good idea, you do need to boldly mark them in a manner that prevents other divers from picking up yours...they do look alike unless you see mine. Lots of fun things you can do with model car paint and stick on letters. I can spot mine across the airport.

To find the size of the case, just go to Pelican's web site.

jeffsterinsf once bubbled...
Remember that Pelican cases almost certainly indicate "something valuable inside." My personal preference is to travel with a generic-looking hard or semi-hard bag and do my own padding on the inside, if needed. In any event, avoid stickers on the outside that make your bags more "attractive" by shouting "hey! $3000 of dive equipment inside"

Covered in the "search for samsonite" theads in greater detail.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't even use a "dive" bag-just a rolling duffel with all my stuff. No stickers, no dive flags, no indication at all. Same with my car.

As much as I like diving, I like keeping my stuff even more!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom