Pelican 1650 case...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have traveled with my 1650 and not had any problems...but that was pre-strickdum by the airlines.

I took my 1660 (yes there is a new 1660) to St. Thomas with me a couple of weeks ago and got zapped $80 twice. Both times it was at the same airport...Harrisburg, PA.

Not at thing was said at my originating location Fayetteville, NC.. or by the US Air reps at St. Thomas....just Harrisburg PA.

So I wrote US Air and they apologized for the inconsistancy and gave me a $160 voucher for my next US Air flight.....

I may have missed a trip, to the best of my recollection...

Dive travel from Chicago since 9/11 traveling with multiple Pelican 1650's:

Bonaire (Air Jamaica)
Tampa (American)
Hawaii (United)
Raleigh (United Express)
Seattle (United)

No charges for oversized, never measured.
No charges for overweight, weighed once. I know for a fact that I was overweight on a couple of these trips, being nice to the skycap pays off again.

Non-dive trips from Chicago since 9/11 with at least one Pelican 1650:

Detroit (United twice)
New York (United)
Dallas (American once, United once)
Phoenix (United)
Atlanta (United)

No charges for oversized, never measured.
No charges for overweight, never weighed.

Your results may vary.

Steven

Thank you all very much for your replies!!

I have read with much interest all of your replies! I have been using a regular pullout handle bag with wheels but recently snapped the handle off when the case started to fall and I grabbed the handle...at $50 to replace it did not seem worth it. :(

One of the things I thought was nice about Pelican style cases is the ability to pack wet gear. My regular bag (a Service Merchandise going out of business special) isn't too happy at the end of the day after traveling with a wet drysuit (my CF200X, while an awesome suit takes quite a while to dry ...as many of you know).

$80/leg is pretty painful...but it sounds like most of you have not had problems.

Is there a Samsonite bag (which some of you have mentioned) that anyone finds is particularly suited for dive gear?

Thank you all very much once again!!
Lisa :)

Just got back from Bonaire where I took 2 1650's (the wife and I). Both cases fully loaded only weighed 62 and 51 lbs respectively.
(Ranger BC, fins, masks, weight belts, lights, spare regs, etc..... in each).

Never paid for any additional cost for the flights at all.

Sure glad that I had my Pelican 1650's that I got from www.Cases4less.com and LP for around $150 each.

Lisa mentioned carring wet gear.... well one other nice thing is to use it for a rinse tub when you only have a shower in your room and want to soak your wetsuite in some "SINK THE STINK".

I would go with the Pelican 1650's if I was you. They have a LIFETIME warranty for a reason. :wink:

--dawg

Regarding carrying a wet drysuit in a pelican. My case is about 62 pounds with my gear dry. That means if it is wet I might go over the limit. The 24 hour no fly is perfect for completely drying out my gear.

I have found though that my gear will not dry overnight unless I have air circulating around it. This means either blow a portable fan on your gear or if your hotel bathroom has a vent, turn that on. It makes a big difference to keep a little air movement going around wet gear.

I also use a pelican 1660. with just my stuff it pushes about 78 lbs, spare batterys and stuff like that. But its size is great since I am also my wifes gear caddy, I can put everything in one box and roll it away. Also the Pelican can be locked / cabled in to my jeep to keep it there when we are away from the jeep.

When I travel by air I always pay the over wgt fee, on AA. however I dont use locks, I use big cable ties and wait for TSA to conduct thier inspection hand the agent a hand full of ties and ask him to attach 2 per locking hole. Never had anything disappear yet.

One thing I like about my 1650 is that if I am leaving it in the hotel while using a mesh duffel on the boat, I can lock up the leave-behind stuff. I travel light (except for the 1650!) and anything I lose is an inconvenience. Sometimes hotel staff might be inclined to slip something in their pocket or cart, but wouldn't try to break open or take an entire locked 1650 case.

I get weighed EVERY time I use the thing, so I try to stay well under 70 lbs. I also get searched occasionally. A baggage guy once told me there was a movie or TV show in which they showed how the SEALS use the 1650 to transport their H & K MP5 SMGs. As a result, some people think of the 1650 as a "weapons locker".

The 1650 has some drawbacks, but the protection is very good.

Just came back from Grand Cayman, I flew AA all the way. They did'nt charge me for over size or over weight. I don't mark the case with anything to indicate whats in it. I put all my dive gear and clothes for the week in it. I think it's a great case.

While I love the Pelican case, they do have a down side. If you end up on a small prop plane, and they are even close to having a weight restriction, guess what gets left behind. You guessed it the big black box. This usually isn't a problem on the big jets. However, you can have some problems with rental cars and moving the silly things, espcially if like me you have two of them. (3 Divers in the family).

Now, I did get the case a day later, but that was one less day of diving using my gear. Yes I had regs and a mask, but no fins or BC.

So here is my solution, I use one of the standard roller bags that will fit in the overhead. I can get my BC, mask, reg, and computer in it. One trick to get the BC in, suck the air out using your inflator. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle my fins yet, they are about two inches too long for the bag. Everything else goes into one or two small duffels that get checked. Small duffels almost always make it, where big bags seem to have problems.

I can throw a shorty and a few other items of clothes in a small bag to carry on with the rollerbag, and never get hassiled. If you want put your computer in it and tell them its your computer bag.

In short, I try to get as close to checking nothing as I can. I came real close until I realized that they wouldn't let me carry on my dive tool for some reason. Seems they think they could be used as a knife.

One other suggestion from people on my last trip. Let your gear stink on the way home, inspections seem to go much quicker if the smell reaches out and smacks them around a bit. Of course you have to deal with it when you get home.

Back
Top Bottom