Pelham, Al

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Road Guy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Were planning a trip to Pelham, my kids are not old enough to dive but I was going to take them with us to let them snorkel / swim while we dive (were taking a 3rd diver whose wife doesnt dive and she agreed to "babysit" ) kids are 10 & 8

Do they allow snorkeling and is there anything worth seeing or would it be a waste for them?

Thanks....

I was in Pelham about a month ago the viz was horrible. According to the staff it was the worse 10 years do to all the rain. With that being said snorkeling would be a waste because you wouldn't be able to see anything really.

The best thing to do before you haul the kids all that way is to call Alabama Bluewater and ask them directly. According to their website they do allow snorkeling (but not swimming as their insurance doesn't allow "swimming" but does snorkeling). see Alabama Blue Water Adventures Welcome to ?The Pelham Keys? 100 Industrial Park Drive, Pelham, Alabama 35124 (205) 663-7428 (205) 663-0287 (Fax)

Is there much to see? well the depths are pretty deep for kids snorkeling. About all they'd see (in my opinion) is the divers on the training platforms below them. they really won't see more than about 20 feet deep. (but then again I've never snorkeled along the edge to look for stuff either).

If they do snorkel, they are doing so in pretty deep water without a whole lot of safety fall backs (such as life guards) or anywhere to get out besides the dock and a few sloped in areas.

here are some pics from the website that show overheads. looks like there are some submerged rocks that can be seen from overhead, but not sure what your kids want.

not exactly what I would call a "waterpark for kids".

maybe your kids will love it, but some kids might not.

abwa1.jpg

abwa1AA.jpg

thanks, I will call them before the drive, but if the visib is 10' we may just wait a while longer...

I was there last weekend breaking in some new doubles. The viz is getting better by the day and there are tons of little fishes (no lionfish) swimming around the dock areas. All the snorklers I saw seemed to be having an outstanding time.

I was there last weekend breaking in some new doubles. The viz is getting better by the day and there are tons of little fishes (no lionfish) swimming around the dock areas. All the snorklers I saw seemed to be having an outstanding time.

Glad to hear it. We were there three weeks ago to do our OW certs.

Viz SUCKED big time. My wife (Buddy) and I even held hands at times because the viz was so bad. We could barely see the DM/Instructor less then 10' away at times.

With all of that said...it was a BLAST and taught me a LOT about low viz situations (like I need more training).

As far as snorkling....I can see where that would be VERY hit or miss.

I have been scanning these threads lately after being away from the boards for quite a while. I have not been able to do much diving because of life issues. I really miss diving, so reading the posts kind of helps.

Some of you in and around Destin know me, since I used to be able to come and dinve there. The condo that was my Dad's finally sold last Sept. and I left there sad that I would not have my place to stay. I also haven't been able to come down and stay anywhere so I could dive.

Ok, long story my son, his wife and my little grandson live in Alabaster, Alabama. I am here today for his 3rd birthday party this afternoon. So, much to my surprise I saw this thread, and realized OMG I drive past ABWA getting here and for that matter I am just minutes away when I am here.

Now I don't get here frequently since I live in Augusta, but wow now I know there is somewhere I maybe able to get in some diving that is exciting.

I do hope to drive over there this weekend before I head back home to check things out.

Cindy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom