Pelham 4/14-4/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biggmarty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey-

i'll be doing my OW checkouts at Pelham on 4/14 and 4/15. All I have is a 3mm wetsuit, and hopefully some kind of hood. will this be enough? or should i consider going ahead and getting a 3mm shorty to put on over it (i want to get one anyway). i'm not terribly cold-natured, but my dive buddy gets cold very easily. any suggestions?

also, i know frankc will be there, anyone else?

martin

I'll probably be there on sunday for Nitrox.

3mm is probably gonna be inadequate for the water temps in the quarry. I'd check into renting a suit at the quarry. Or get a 5 or 7mm hooded vest. You're gonna need more at your core than 3 or 6 mm.

3mm and hoodvest was plenty enough for me, atleast for two long-ish back to back dives.

Everyone's comfort level is different. There is no hard pressed rule for exposure suites.

I dove it the other day in a 3 mm without a hood and had no issues. I did also wear some thin gloves and 5mm boots.

We went down to about 85 ft on both dives with a total dive time of well over one hour b/w the two dives.

I'll probably be in my 3mm long suit w/ the 3mm core I bought from Dawgdiver.

jeepbrew:
I dove it the other day in a 3 mm without a hood and had no issues. I did also wear some thin gloves and 5mm boots.

We went down to about 85 ft on both dives with a total dive time of well over one hour b/w the two dives.
I did 100 feet last year, at Pelham, in a 5mm with 3mm core warmer, 3mm hood and gloves, and froze my *** off after 30 minutes, at what we measured to be 54 F, and that was in July!!!

You were probably in the 3rd thermocline, and you were fine in that tropical suit, with no hood, in March???

I tip my hood to the better Polar bear...

bigmarty, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 5mm in the *top* thermocline, at this time of year.

Good luck in your checkouts! The viz is pretty good this time of year.

BKP:
I did 100 feet last year, at Pelham, in a 5mm with 3mm core warmer, 3mm hood and gloves, and froze my *** off after 30 minutes, at what we measured to be 54 F, and that was in July!!!

You were probably in the 3rd thermocline, and you were fine in that tropical suit, with no hood, in March???

I tip my hood to the better Polar bear...

Cold water doesn't really bother me. Last April I dove to 100 ft for 25 minutes with only the bottom piece of my farmer john. It was 49 - 51 F at that time. In fact, I usually only use the bottom piece of my farmer john at BW.

I live on Logan Martin and have been skiing every weekend since Feb w/o a wetsuit as well, so I guess I am a polar bear. I will probably be out there skiing again this weekend even though the highs are in the 50s and lows in the 20s :11: I thought the warm weather was here to stay.

Jeepbrew, you ever dive Logan Martin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom