Pee valve problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would guess you had the valve closed. That creates a sealed environment in a flexible container (the hose). As it compresses it will form a vacuum. Solution...open the valve. :)
HA...I wish I had thought of that. Seriously though, the valve may not be opening correctly. It acts like there is a vapor lock rather than a free flow

What type of pee valve, balanced or unbalanced?
I believe it is balanced. I can't remove a bolt for a straight tube.

With a balanced valve this problem should never happen unless the balancing "duckbill" is plugged. A vacuum will occur as you descend on an unbalanced valve if you have not primed the line prior to descending.

Priming = Open valve and pee enough to fill the line, then shut the valve again. This removes any air and fills the line with liquid.
I didn't shut the valve after. I suppose the fluid drained and was replaced with air again? The vacuum didn't release as I surfaced though.

Do you have a quick disconnect and were you rinsing with alchohol last year even if you did not void?

I have seen alchohol attack the norprene and perhaps the o-ring in the QD and lock the valve shut despite engagement. That would leave Mr. Packrman all alone at the end of a closed tube. This happens despite following with a vinegar rinse.

I have since switched to silicone tubing and will replace the QD periodically.

Pete
This was the first time I had ever hooked it up. No prior rinsing. I did use a quick connect with a check valve. That is where I was able to release the vacuum when I got out of the water.

Thanks Fellas for the comments. Keep them coming if you think of something.

This was the first time I had ever hooked it up. No prior rinsing. I did use a quick connect with a check valve. That is where I was able to release the vacuum when I got out of the water.

Wait here... a check valve?

The correct quick connect on the suit side may have a shutoff released by engagement but never a check valve. If you have a check valve either you pee won't leave or back flow air cannot go upstream to equalize. My human side is always a male with no valve.

So, is it a check valve or a shutoff valve you have inline?

Pete

The human side is a male connection nothing fancy. The suit side is female with a shut off that is suppose to open when connected when disconnected it is supposed to prevent fluid from entering the suit. It is the McMaster Carr fitting recommended in another thread.

Have you tested it with a gravity feed to make sure it is opening and flowing freely?

I have a longer version of the human side that I connect for flushing. It lets me pour from outside of the suit. Fluid should flow freely all the way through the system.

If that's working then I'd suspect kinking or something with the integral balancing check valve.

Pete

I always blow through the hose before connecting it to be sure the system is free through the hose and out the pee valve.

It is something with the valve then. There is nothing close to a free flow. More like pouring gas from a non vented can

It is something with the valve then. There is nothing close to a free flow. More like pouring gas from a non vented can
On my balanced Dive Rite valve with an 18" Norprene hose there is very little resistance when I blow into the hose end. There is a slight "honking" sound from the valve when gently blowing that I assume is an internal valve vibrating.

It might be time to inspect the inside of the valve for debris that may be restricting/blocking it. Remove the hose and verify that you can blow through it and then try to blow through the valve.

May want to sterilize the tube prior to blowing into it......my 2psi

I like the simple approach. I pee before I splash to make sure everything is connected, works and no kinks. If that works above water, it will work underwater as well.

As for cleaning / sterilizing, etc.. We are talking about your own urine, not radioactive waste. A good rinse with water should suffice for guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom