Pee valve problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PACKRMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took my drysuit to the lake for the first time this weekend. I had never worked up the courage to use the pee valve last year. Just to help my ego, let’s say HUGE problems this year.
At about 5’, as the suit compressed, I started to feel a pull. I thought the norprene tube was just getting caught, so I surfaced and adjusted things. I did this a couple times with no success. I decided I would push it just a little but before I got to 10’ a vacuum had formed and it was not comfortable at all. By this time I figured it was time to get out and take a look. After having to ask for help taking my tank off I was able to disconnect and release the vacuum. This brought new meaning to the phrase “that’ll leave a mark”.
So, short story shorter, what did I do or not do? What am I missing? I sure don’t want a repeat of this little episode.
Questions, comments and jokes please.

What type of pee valve, balanced or unbalanced?

With a balanced valve this problem should never happen unless the balancing "duckbill" is plugged. A vacuum will occur as you descend on an unbalanced valve if you have not primed the line prior to descending.

Priming = Open valve and pee enough to fill the line, then shut the valve again. This removes any air and fills the line with liquid.

If it's unbalanced, just pull the bolt out and stick it in your pocket. No need to pee, just get in the water. As you descend the plumbing equalizes and there's no issues.

Just don't lose the bolt. If the condom blows off, you'll need to plug the hole.

Just don't lose the bolt. If the condom blows off, you'll need to plug the hole.

I've heard that before...

Do you have a quick disconnect and were you rinsing with alchohol last year even if you did not void?

I have seen alchohol attack the norprene and perhaps the o-ring in the QD and lock the valve shut despite engagement. That would leave Mr. Packrman all alone at the end of a closed tube. This happens despite following with a vinegar rinse.

I have since switched to silicone tubing and will replace the QD periodically.

Pete

Since alcohol attacks the neoprene, what do you flush the tubing and valve with?

I currently have two spray bottles; one with a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and vinegar, and the other bottle with water.

What is the best method to keep it clean, if alcohol isn't to be used.

Thanks,
Mitch

Pullmyfinger. I flush with 50/50, then shoot with clean water. Been doing that for almost a decade.

Thanks!
I was worried about getting that wrong.

Cheers,
Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom