Pee valve problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I error on the side of caution grumpy..... I'm not going to risk a uti. It's not too hard to sterilize.

What is the best method to keep it clean, if alcohol isn't to be used.

I use clear PVC tubing from the hardware store, and flush it with a garden hose (made an adapter) after every dive, then blow it out with air, and replace the tubing every couple of months.

So far no problems. The norprene works well, but creeps me out because there could be pretty much anything at all growing in it and I'd never know.

OTOH, I dive in pretty clean water. If I were diving where pollution alerts from sewage were common, I'd probably do more cleaning.

flots.

I like the simple approach. I pee before I splash to make sure everything is connected, works and no kinks. If that works above water, it will work underwater as well.

As for cleaning / sterilizing, etc.. We are talking about your own urine, not radioactive waste. A good rinse with water should suffice for guys.

You should do more research before typing. It's not that your urine is infected. It's that urine provides the environment for certain bacteria to proliferate. Wait till you smell your piss after you've picked up a urease producing bacteria from your pvalve.

You should do more research before typing. It's not that your urine is infected. It's that urine provides the environment for certain bacteria to proliferate. Wait till you smell your piss after you've picked up a urease producing bacteria from your pvalve.

I was poking fun at the post about sterilizing. If you rinse your p-valve post dive, there is no host for the bacteria AND your valve is likely to work properly. It seems like some here are afraid of catching cooties if they don't take extreme measures. I just do the basics and it works for me. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom