Paying for rescue costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Teen fined $25,000 for cost of NH mountain rescue - Yahoo! News

The notion of divers having to pay for their rescue costs has come up a number of times. The above link describes a hiker who is being "fined" $25,000 by the state of New Hampshire to cover the cost of his rescue, apparently because someone decided that the hiker's "negligence" put him in a position where rescue was necessary, and that, had the negligence not occurred, no rescue effort (or a greatly-reduced rescue effort) would have been required. It's interesting to think how that line of reasoning might apply to diving.

This forum may not be the appropriate place for this thread. The powers-that-be should feel free to move it if such is the case.

Regarding diving, don't take shortcuts, keep within your level of experience and know when to call a dive.

Addressing the specifics of this case, the boy is an Eagle Scout and did well to survive. Now he and his family need to take the responsibility for a series of mistakes in judgment that most 17 year old's make. Personally, I would increase the fine by $1,000 and throw a great party for the rescue team.

I guess in New Hampshire it's now "Live Fee or Die"

Interesting. It's not just divers though is it? We all ultimately pay for most rescues. We had a case here earlier this year when the Australian Navy had to be called out to rescue a French around-the-world sailor whose yacht had capsized. It cost the Australian taxpayers millions to rescue him, but what choice did anyone have? Leave him to die? And this week a young English guy who was totally unprepared for his "hike" was rescued after 12 days lost in the Blue Mountains outside Sydney, also leading to great expenditure on behalf of the emergency services. He has now sold his "survival story" to various media outlets here and in the UK. I think, as he is profiting from this, maybe he should make a contribution to help offset the cost of his rescue.

I guess in New Hampshire it's now "Live Fee or Die"

Love the pun, but the central issue is personal responsibility for ones actions.

You are expected to pay for a service that was, or was not, requested ?

And somewhat related,,,,Many county and city governments do charge for an ambulance ride for a car accident. Whether the accident was your fault(doing) or not.

I'm surprised at the use of the word "fine" rather than charge. Depending on how the provider is funded, charging for services provided may be appropriate.

I'm surprised at the use of the word "fine" rather than charge. Depending on how the provider is funded, charging for services provided may be appropriate.
It is a fine, rather than a charge, because it is only levied on the negligent. If every rescue came with a bill, than "charge" would be more appropriate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom