BSAC Ocean Diver Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While the lean on this board is decidedly North American it is one of the easiest places to find if you’re looking to research how to dive. In that vein I thought I’d put up a little piece about learning to dive with BSAC in the UK.

A bit of background on my position, I’m in my mid-20s and employed in engineering (the desk based stuff, not the spanner based stuff), I wanted to learn to dive so I could visit the Great Barrier Reef while on holiday with my girlfriend (who was already PADI OW). Since I started I seem to have found a new hobby for when I’m not sailing.

I think the place to start is what is BSAC. BSAC, the British Sub Aqua Club, is a collection of diving clubs, mostly in the UK though there are some in places like Malta and Florida. To join BSAC you become a member of a local club, pay your membership dues and off you go, BSAC membership includes a level of insurance when diving with a BSAC club, and for my club cost was branch fees of £90 p.a. plus a BSAC fee of £57.50, junior membership was about half that.

While the membership fee for BSAC is comparatively high, the cost of training is very low, with instruction being offered by other club members who are all trained to the same kind of standard as other organisations. The first level that most people go to is Ocean Diver, roughly equivalent to PADI Open Water, but with a slightly deeper maximum depth of 20m. The training pack from BSAC is about £45 for Ocean Diver, which includes a course manual, a reference book, and a logbook binder (oddly no actual logbook pages though!).

The actual Ocean Diver programme is based around a number of theory lessons, a set of pool/sheltered water lessons, and a set of (minimum) four Open Water dives. Each stage of the programme is individually signed off, so you can do the equivalent of referrals, with the final certification being signed off by the club Diving Officer (who is accountable for training standards within the club). The basic mask skills are covered, along with buoyancy control, safety, what dive briefings should be like, controlled buoyant lifts, alternative supply ascents, some basics of Nitrox use, and if you are in the UK often the use of drysuits. I came out of my Ocean Diver training qualified to use Nitrox up to 36% (on air tables and computers) and use a drysuit (which was very necessary, as none of my training dives were in water over 4C). If you are more sane than I am you probably wont train in the UK in February/March, but the advantages were quiet dive sites, excellent visibility, and one-to-one lessons, that and things can only get better!

Cost wise for Ocean diver I paid £24 for two days use of a quarry dive site, I bought mask and fins new (before discovering the many second hand groups) for around £120 though the club had ones they could have leant me if I didn’t have funny width feet, I also bought a drysuit second hand for about £100 and had the boots and neck seal replaced for about another £100 (this could have been avoided if I wasn’t built like a rugby player and fit a club suit!), the club also leant me BCD, regs, weights, and anything else I didn’t have (though I love toys and gadgets so that didn’t last long). Total cost of the course (excluding gear) was £75, gear cost more but the club helped me reduce costs wherever possible.

I’ve since moved on to start BSAC Sports Diver, which is roughly equivalent to PADI Rescue Diver (with AOW sitting uncomfortably in the middle), this is more of a usual class this time, with 6 people if we are all available, but as the instructors are volunteers we all work around commitments to make sure that the level of teaching is appropriate. I’ve done one-on-one dives as part of this course too, but some lessons are better with more people to practice rescues with. A BSAC course with a club may be slower than a weekend course but you will meet a lot of new people and hopefully have fun.

I hope that this provides a bit of extra knowledge into the melting pot and is of use. Feel free to add more info or critique, I am still very new at this after all!

I really like the BSAC feeling of being part of something. I bought your tables and follow all BSAC threads with great interest.

On the other side of the Atlantic, you just get trained by an instructor who may hold many different Instructor affiliations. More than once I was asked what agency I wanted my card from. It isn't really a problem for me, but I admit that it helped drive me to become (and be happy with) being completely solo and unattached to any agency.

Hi Firebar,

That’s an excellent write up.

One minor correction:
... with the final certification being signed off by the club Diving Officer (who is accountable for training standards within the club).
Qualification sign-off is done by the Lead Instructor of the club, region or Centre that conducted the final element of a course.

Over the years I’ve signed-off Ocean Diver, Sports Diver and Dive Leader qualifications, where the last bit was done at one of the South Scotland regional training sessions.

One minor correction:

Qualification sign-off is done by the Lead Instructor of the club, region or Centre that conducted the final element of a course.

Good correction, in my case the Lead Instructor was the DO, but I guess that varies from club to club to centre.

Having been diving with people from all over the world, I've been most impressed with BSAC divers (and envious too)

and a logbook binder (oddly no actual logbook pages though!).

I must admit I haven't seen the insides of the new redesigned Ocean Diver training packs yet (my club had a large supply of the old ones and they are valid till 2019 so we haven't bought any new ones yet this year) but the small binder in the previous packs would be your Qualification Record Book (QRB). This is for the bits you get signed/stamped as you complete your training etc.

Don't lose it, they are a PITA to replace!

Naturally BSAC do sell log books should you wish to buy one :)

Your spot on with the weakness on speed and the strengths of the setup, but personally I think the extra time it takes is more than made up for by to continual development you can get diving within the club environment.

As Edward3c has alluded to there is also support regionally if needed. Most of the regional coaches (or at least ones I know) are very eager to help as well.

I must admit I haven't seen the insides of the new redesigned Ocean Diver training packs yet (my club had a large supply of the old ones and they are valid till 2019 so we haven't bought any new ones yet this year)
HQ are so quick to deliver training pack there isn’t any reason to hold stock.

The 2007 syllabus must be completed and signed-off by July 2019.

HQ are so quick to deliver training pack there isn’t any reason to hold stock.

The 2007 syllabus must be completed and signed-off by July 2019.

We received quite a few on the last training packs promo so just not had the need to buy new ones yet rather than actively holding stocks.

I guess that taking longer is relative, while you could in theory probably get all the content done in under a week for Ocean Diver you do need to fit that in around life, leave, and work.

With the way that I did my course it fit around work and life pretty well. The club meets Wednesdays so I’d go down after dinner and do a lecture or two and then go to the pool and do the practical afterwards, it worked well, just a late finish, back home for 2300 usually after breaking down and packing everything up at the pool (coffee is a necessity on Thursday mornings!).

We did the open water over two weekends in a local quarry, it was lovely and quiet compared to last Sunday, and the vis was very good. Of course diving in Feb/March in the U.K. means straight into a drysuit so I ended up with drysuit qualifications at the same time and BSAC includes some Nitrox basics (I.e. work out your MOD, don’t go below it, and symptoms of oxygen toxicity, using a gas analyser) but you are still only meant to dive on air tables or settings until you have Sports Diver.

As for the logbook I’d personally, if I was the person putting them together, include (in addition to all the sign off pages) at least enough pages for your first 5 dives with a link to order more pages..... but maybe that’s just the time I spent with the commercial team talking!

Real divers have little red books :)

What you have is the Qualifications Record Book. It is where training is recorded. Very soon nobody will be interested in you first few dives and you will fill it up with the random plastic cards you need to be able to find to get cheap entry to sites or medical treatment in the EU...

There is a similar format loose leaf logbook but I have never seen one it the wild.

Time wise it is possible to run OD in the same time as any of the entry level courses. Commercial schools can do it as fast as a PADI course, although the lack of e-learning is a disadvantage. Of course the real advantage is when you do it with a club and end up with people who you know and (maybe) trust to dive with. Logistics then can be harder, but on the other hand they really can spend as long as it really takes to teach a skill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom