Eight children poisoned by tainted tanks - Manchester, England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does Analox make a CO analyzer in the same format as their O2EII Pro?

They used to and many of us still have our original units operational because the sensors can still be purchased for now. I think Analox stopped making their EII CO analyzer at least 5 years ago, but it seems there are still a few to be had until stock runs out.
Analox EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyser

You can still purchase a diving handheld CO monitor from Nuvair or Analytical Industries.
Pro CO Alarm Analyzer - Handheld
Palm CO Carbon Monoxide Analyzer

Just remember any CO monitor requires calibration every 6 months so you'll require access to a tank of calibration gas and regulator.

it seems there are still a few to be had until stock runs out.
Analox EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyser
Interesting that they still list it as available. I think I might want to call them for comformation.

Just remember any CO monitor requires calibration every 6 months so you'll require access to a tank of calibration gas and regulator.
That's what I loved about the Analox unit as you could calibrate it with the wheel. My sensor was recently replaced and is still good.

A cheaper unit that may not give accurate results but will keep you safe enough is the Portable Carbon Monoxide Detector Meter (CO Inspector). Some rig up tubing from their reg to the unit, but I suspect that the flow pressure may give false readings. I use a gallon ziplock bag, turn the unit on, insert it into the bag, fill, seal, and wait a minute or two. You may suck in some ambient air which could give false readings from the boat engines in the marina, so try to avoid that. They claim that their software automatically adjusts for sensor drift, which may or may not be true. The last time mine came up for two year servicing including replacement of battery and sensor, I bought a new one instead on sale, but the old unit is now over three years since updating, laying on my desk, and still seems to work. Two warnings...
  1. Take a new gallon ziplock every day as they develop leaks. Use the freezer quality.
  2. Crack the valve first, then stick the bag over it. I put the bag on first once and sent the bag flying when I cracked the sticky valve.
Leave it on 24/7, take it to your room at night to protect you there, and you can even carry it around to protect yourself from your car, restaurants, etc.

Oh, you can bump test any unit by blowing into it as your body actually creates some CO. Get a higher reading by getting a smoker to breathe into it.

It's been four years since the hit. They're all lucky to be alive. One boy mentions "Now aged 19, he revealed he has continued to suffer headaches since the incident."

What 4 years on and the kid still gets headaches?
Another one said he was blind (and couldn't breathe)

Remarkable these unique symptoms of CO poisoning.
Maybe its a new strain of CO poisoning, a Delta variant no less with unique symptoms.
Whatever next.

"including one who was left fighting for life in a coma"

Screams the headline.
Another example of the lies this article spouts out for the ignorant.
One of the standard medical treatments for CO poisioning is for the patient to be intubated. Inserting a tube into the airway to connect to a ventilator.
The "coma" as the headline puts it is standard procedure provided by the hospital in order to provide treatment.

In addition the Manchester Hospital Trust where these kids were treated have a medical hyperbaric chamber that is used in serious emergency CO poisoning.
Not the walking wounded or the astmatic I guess.

Does Analox make a CO analyzer in the same format as their O2EII Pro?
Not anymore. There was very little demand for a portable CO meter and they dropped the whole line years ago. I haven't seen them come back, but I might have missed it.

What 4 years on and the kid still gets headaches?
Another one said he was blind (and couldn't breathe)

Remarkable these unique symptoms of CO poisoning.
Maybe its a new strain of CO poisoning, a Delta variant no less with unique symptoms.
Whatever next.

Although the article does not mention blindness, they do go on about the brain damage in acute CO poisoning. It seems to me that brain damage could exhibit a number of odd symptoms, depending on the part of the brain that sustains the damage.damaged.

Complications of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: A Case Discussion and Review of the Literature

Not working as in ‘disabled by some mysterious person or persons unknown’?

Probably ”not working” as in simply discovered to no longer be in working condition.

Back
Top Bottom