Paul Watson (Sea Shepherd) needs to man up!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't agree. I think Sea Shepherd does more harm than good. If I was a whaler and some group like Sea Shepherd started attacking me I'd just whale more. I think if they left Japan alone they would have gotten bored and moved on from whaling by now.

Basically what Japan is doing is legal, whether one disagrees with their actions or not. I would prefer all fishing be stopped myself, including whaling, but I recognise that I can't impose my will on others.

That is debatable in my opinion --the Japanese claim they are using the whales for research, which is the exemption to international law they are citing in their whaling harvest. But there is no descernable data that comes from the tens of thousands of pounds of whales they kill each year. I believe they are allowed to use any surplus (aften the bogus research) commericially.

If they are not actually researching whales, you could make the case that they are in violation of international treaties and law. Clearly this is a loophole, and one that needs to be closed.

As I understand it, the market for whale meat, oil, blubber, etc. in Japan is small and shrinking. The Japanese whale hunts have one purpose, in reality, shoring up a politically powerful sector of the Japanese economy. Much as the Japanese government has fought to shore up its rice famers by keeping out foreign-grown rice.

The Sea Shepard's activities have brought strong and negative attention to these whale hunts and that is beginning to truly embarrass Tokyo. I have read reports of a growing discomfort among Japanese voters with the hunts.

Ultimately this sort of activity can get results; it is a hyper sort of civil disobedience. It takes time, it's messy and far from certain, but many of the international conservation laws we have today were spawned by radical actions.

Jeff

That is debatable in my opinion --the Japanese claim they are using the whales for research, which is the exemption to international law they are citing in their whaling harvest. But there is no descernable data that comes from the tens of thousands of pounds of whales they kill each year. I believe they are allowed to use any surplus (aften the bogus research) commericially.

No, they are subject to the regulations of the IWC - which is not law at all. It's not even at treaty level. They can leave any time they want and whale to their heart's content.

I don't agree with the rest of your comments and think Japan probably would have cut back on whaling a while ago but didn't want to lose face to Sea Shepherd but basically neither one of us has evidence for our claims so this is just imho :wink:

Arm the whales. Make it a fair fight. That would be cool.

Train them to deliver high explosives on command...

Okay Shammy - here's the plan: You take this, swim down 500 feet, swim under the boat over there, let this thing go... then swim really fast and get as far away as possible. Then, after the big kaboom - you come back and smack all the lifeboats with your tail.

I'd pay to watch that.

Arm the whales. Make it a fair fight. That would be cool.

Train them to deliver high explosives on command...

Okay Shammy - here's the plan: You take this, swim down 500 feet, swim under the boat over there, let this thing go... then swim really fast and get as far away as possible. Then, after the big kaboom - you come back and smack all the lifeboats with your tail.

I'd pay to watch that.

Is it Shammy, Shamu or Shamwow??:D

Paul Watson must be pushing 70. After protecting the oceans for over thirty years, I think he can be forgiven for not being as energetic as a 25 year old. I dread to think how many years he's spent at sea in the face of million-dollar-corporations and entire nations.

Watson may take a back seat for many major decisions aboard his vessel, but as well as having to consider his legal and political position, he has to consider giving his commanders the experience to take over when he finally, and deservedly retires.

Yes, Sea Shepherd are posers and yes, they love themselves. But as a proud carnivore, I love them too.

Paul Watson is a hero.

Some people see him as a hero, some people see him as a blustering egomaniac.

I see him as both. Well, perhaps blustering egomaniac is a bit strong.

Back
Top Bottom