Passport help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just pulled out my passport for a trip Friday looked at expiration date.... Oct 20th 2019. Oh crap! We have a.trip to Bonaire Sept 20th. Will they be ok with that little time left on it? Seems i read some places want 6 months left on documents. Or did I dream that up? It takes 4 to 6 weeks to renew (2:to 3 if expedited) but I have trouble trusting the gov't to do anything timely :wink:. It wouldn't be a problem except we have overseas trips planned for May 3rd, June 14th, July 27th and Sept 20th. Not really enough time between any of the trips. Thanks bill

As others have said, that could be a problem.

The thing about clearing customs and immigration when your paperwork isn't quite in order is that there is no way to know for sure how it's going to turn out until you're at the airport (or border), by which time you've got a good deal of time and money tied up in the trip.

You would therefore want to renew at your first opportunity. If you have travel scheduled within 2 weeks the department of state will let you make an appointment to get your passport the same day however you have to travel to a passport agency or center of which there are only 30 or so nationwide.. Get a Passport in a Hurry.

If you do not want to travel to a passport agency or center for the renewal you can use a passport expeditor like CIBT who will do it for you. Fees are considerable, usually at least $100 above and beyond the passport fee and the department of state's expediting fee. I have used CIBT for difficult visa situations in the past for people working for me and they do what they say they will. (I had a guy who had Bangladesh citizen ship, was in the USA on a green card, and had to travel to Taiwan for work, for example)

Another fact to consider that make make the renewal easier is that if you're traveling to Canada or Mexico via land for any of your May/June/July trips you could consider making that trip with documentation other than your passport (such as a NEXUS or SENTRI card or enhanced driver's license). Then you could have your passport renewed at the same time as you would not need it for travel.

Thanks for all the help, for my trip to London tomorrow I will have to roll the dice and see what happens (I am on delta/virgin air). QUICKLY upon my hopeful return i will seek to get a new passport. I am nervous about an expedited passport for my trip to cozumel June 14th and wonder if I should wait till 2 weeks out and head to Hot Spring and get one the next day (it's only 45 min from my house). ((and why is the passport agency in Hot Springs which doesn't even have a airport of any size???)). Well I will let everyone know how it goes Friday, keep your fingers crossed. Bill

I would do the within two week option in Hot Springs, but sign up for the appointment ASAP.

Thanks for all advice, had no problems. Will expedite Tuesday for our June 14\th trip. I will post back how long it takes. Worst case I will have all info and go to local passport control 8 days out. Tanks Bill

All is good! Got back from our trip across the pond on Sunday May 12th. Expedited my passport on Tuesday and got it today (9 day turnaround). When I went to get my tickets it flagged my passport expiration date but I just ignored it and it was no problem. It did cost me twice as much as a regular passport with the fees so I hopefully won't forget again! Last passport had 27 stamps and I have challenged the wife to exceed this on this one :) Coz....then Dublin.....then Bonaire.....now where to go in November? And NO we won't dive in Dublin . Thanks for the help Bill

Back
Top Bottom