Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some interesting points on the subject.

The Coalition for Airline Passengers' Bill of Rights now counts 13,000 members nationwide. The coalition continues to gather momentum and support from public officials, national organizations and the flying public. Through several recent visits to Capitol Hill, members of the coalition have met with a number of Members of Congress and will continue to visit Washington, D.C. until an Airline Passengers' Bill of Rights is enacted.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/20...e-tarmac-time-for-a-passenger-bill-of-rights/

We are committed to solutions for promoting airline passenger policies that forward first and foremost the safety of all passengers while not imposing unrealistic economic burdens that adversely affect airline profitability or create exorbitant ticket price increases.

This is The petition that the Coalition is collecting signatures for. This is their proposed bill of rights...

Proposed Airline Passengers' Bill of Rights

All American air carriers shall abide by the following standards to ensure the safety, security and comfort of their passengers:

Establish procedures to respond to all passenger complaints within 24 hours and with appropriate resolution within 2 weeks.
Notify passengers within ten minutes of a delay of known diversions, delays and cancellations via airport overhead announcement, on aircraft announcement, and posting on airport television monitors.
Establish procedures for returning passengers to terminal gate when delays occur so that no plane sits on the tarmac for longer than three hours without connecting to a gate.
Provide for the essential needs of passengers during air- or ground-based delays of longer than 3 hours, including food, water, sanitary facilities, and access to medical attention.
Provide for the needs of disabled, elderly and special needs passengers by establishing procedures for assisting with the moving and retrieving of baggage, and the moving of passengers from one area of airport to another at all times by airline personnel.
Publish and update monthly on the company’s public web site a list of chronically delayed flights, meaning those flight delayed thirty minutes or more, at least forty percent of the time, during a single month.
Compensate “bumped” passengers or passengers delayed due to flight cancellations or postponements of over 12 hours by refund of 150% of ticket price.
The formal implementation of a Passenger Review Committee, made up of non-airline executives and employees but rather passengers and consumers – that would have the formal ability to review and investigate complaints.
Make lowest fare information, schedules and itineraries, cancellation policies and frequent flyer program requirements available in an easily accessed location and updated in real-time.
Ensure that baggage is handled without delay or injury; if baggage is lost or misplaced, the airline shall notify customer of baggage status within 12 hours and provide compensation equal to current market value of baggage and its contents.
Require that these rights apply equally to all airline code-share partners including international partners.

Diver Dennis:
This is The petition that the Coalition is collecting signatures for. This is their proposed bill of rights...
Nothing unreasonable there. I would think that almost anyone would agree to these being reasonable. They want our money as soon as we book, they need to deliver on reasonable standards.

But of the few ppl still followig this thread, I suspect opposition... :11:

I agree that there is really nothing unreasonable there but I don't think that any of the people on the Jet Blue planes were in "danger" and the petition was based on safety.

DandyDon:
Nothing unreasonable there. I would think that almost anyone would agree to these being reasonable. They want our money as soon as we book, they need to deliver on reasonable standards.

But of the few ppl still followig this thread, I suspect opposition... :11:

Establish procedures for returning passengers to terminal gate when delays occur so that no plane sits on the tarmac for longer than three hours without connecting to a gate.
Provide for the essential needs of passengers during air- or ground-based delays of longer than 3 hours, including food, water, sanitary facilities, and access to medical attention.

sounds very reasonable, Don

Senator Boxer said, "I've been stuck on the tarmac many times in my travel back and forth to California. Sometimes with the weather and traffic, it's unavoidable. But to keep passengers -- which usually include infants and the elderly -- on a plane for eleven hours in the worst of conditions is absurd. If a plane is stuck on the tarmac or at the gate for hours, a passenger should have the right to deplane. No one should be held hostage on an aircraft when clearly they can find a way to get people off safely."

pilot fish:

sounds very reasonable, Don
It's really a little soft for me. Establsih procedures is not as strong as I'd like, and Provide for the essential needs for waits of over 3 hours still allows for that possibility.

Yeah, these are minimum standards to me.

Well Don, here is what I would see as unreasonable
Make lowest fare information, schedules and itineraries, cancellation policies and frequent flyer program requirements available in an easily accessed location and updated in real-time.
This is already done as long as people have access to the internet. If they do not, then how do you update something in real time? Similarly, I believe the requirements should be those that exist as of the time a passenger purchases a ticket, otherwise any changes to policy could result in complaints.
Ensure that baggage is handled without delay or injury; if baggage is lost or misplaced, the airline shall notify customer of baggage status within 12 hours and provide compensation equal to current market value of baggage and its contents.
This would require that each passenger provide a detailed list of contents for each bag. Sorry, but as much as I would not trust the airlines, I also see a huge hole for abuse here. Can anyone say insurance scam. "Gee, I just bought that Nikon D2X camera and those five super fine lenses."
Require that these rights apply equally to all airline code-share partners including international partners.
Yep, this one will really work. Applying a standard in one country through law that in effect dictates what other sovereign nations will do. A bit heavy handed. What if the standards in a country other than the US are higher? Will there be reciprocity?

I do agree with setting a standard for consistency regarding wait times on aircraft. BUT, you have to set a standard that is realistic, or else there will be a significant cost for implementation. YES, there will be a cost for implementation. This will translate into higher ticket prices. I can't wait for the complaints regarding higher ticket prices.

DandyDon:
It's really a little soft for me. Establsih procedures is not as strong as I'd like, and Provide for the essential needs for waits of over 3 hours still allows for that possibility.

Yeah, these are minimum standards to me.

But, Don, you've hit exactly on one of the biggest points that I've been making. Such an effort, while giving every appearance of being noble and reasonable, will do nothing to actually solve the problems.

If you read the proposed list of "actions", you'll see that virtually every one of them is already in place, and has been for quite some time.

Phrases like "establish procedures" mean nothing, and are satisfied with a piece of paper in a binder that lists what people are supposed to do. Whether or not they are actually done, another story.

Likewise, each airline can come up with their own "established procedures", but if they become unimplementable because they conflict with another airlines procedures or an airports procedures, or a unions procedures, who's to blame?

And, a panel of non-airline executives and employees? So, because someone flies on a plane, they are expert and qualified in addressing the issues involved in such a trivial process like moving millions of people safely and efficiently around the world? Hmmm. You don't suppose the politicians would stoop so low as to appoint "consumers" to this panel as a pat on the back for their staunch support during the last campaign, do you?

There were over 5700 complaints filed just on the 20 largest carriers in the US last year alone. Where would the funds come from to organize, empower, and compensate the people who would formally review each of these complaints? What resources would they need? What happens after they formally review them? How would they enforce their findings? Who would follow up? Is there an appeal process?

[Oh, as an interesting aside, to put this whole issue of the need to protect the poor airline passenger, in 2006 there was less than 1 complaint per 100,000 emplanements (passenger trip on a non-stop segment) against the 20 largest carriers. Less than 1 out of every 100,000 people were bothered by something enough to even formally complain. In 2006, out of 663,125,346 emplanements, there were only 475 formal complaints about DELAYS!!! Read that again, 475 formal complaints out of 663,125,346 emplanements. THIS is the pressing problem our lawmakers and consumer zealots are pushing to fix. Go figure.]

Would any of that have a price tag associated with it?

The goals are admirable, but I don't think that anyone could argue that passage of such a "bill" would eliminate problems and not turn into a boondoggle at taxpayer expense. They'll pass this, brush their hands together, cheer for themselves, move on to the next cause d'jour, but, as you surmised, business will continue as usual.

Fix the real problems, with real action. Petition waving, populist rights people are just after feel-good, on-to-the-next-one solutions to complex, serious issues. Nothing ever gets done.

tedtim:
I do agree with setting a standard for consistency regarding wait times on aircraft. BUT, you have to set a standard that is realistic, or else there will be a significant cost for implementation. YES, there will be a cost for implementation. This will translate into higher ticket prices. I can't wait for the complaints regarding higher ticket prices.

Amen. How can anyone argue with this? Do people honestly believe that this bill of rights will fix anything?

Back
Top Bottom