Passenger Bill of Rights for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedtim:
This would require that each passenger provide a detailed list of contents for each bag. Sorry, but as much as I would not trust the airlines, I also see a huge hole for abuse here. Can anyone say insurance scam. "Gee, I just bought that Nikon D2X camera and those five super fine lenses."

How is this different from auto/homeowners insurance and theft/loss? If you're bringing something that would be unusual/valuable, you document it, such as with a picture of it in your luggage before you leave. Still open for abuse? Sure. But no more than other such insurance.

Even if you need written documentation for the exceptional stuff, that still isn't horribly onerous, assuming they're not looking for serial # and the like.

Fordan:
How is this different from auto/homeowners insurance and theft/loss? If you're bringing something that would be unusual/valuable, you document it, such as with a picture of it in your luggage before you leave. Still open for abuse? Sure. But no more than other such insurance.

Even if you need written documentation for the exceptional stuff, that still isn't horribly onerous, assuming they're not looking for serial # and the like.

Insurance companies employ many people and many dollars to investigate and prevent fraud, lest it ruin the industry. Those costs, both of fraud, and fraud prevention, are passed on to the consumer directly.

Such a rule, imposed on airlines, would force that same burden onto airlines. And the costs, both of fraud, and of fraud prevention, would be passed directly on to.... whom?

The cost of ANY additional measures will always be passed on to the customer. It's all a question of what the customer wants.....vs what it costs. There's no problem with demanding minimum standards - they dictate minumum prices.

Kim:
The cost of ANY additional measures will always be passed on to the customer. It's all a question of what the customer wants.....vs what it costs. There's no problem with demanding minimum standards - they dictate minumum prices.

No problem at all. So long as those minimum standards realistically dictate what most people need and want (not just a vocal few).

Set the bar too low, and you will have chaos. Set the bar too high, and you will shut out a lot of people from having access to your product.

I'm not convinced that the minimum standards currently in place are inadequate.

Can't the marketplace sort it out? Allow people choices?

OHGoDive:
Can't the marketplace sort it out? Allow people choices?
I'd have thought so.
I think Pilot Fish and possibly Don as well, just want everyone to have to pay more.

You know.....I live in Japan and no one gets left on runways for more than a few minutes here that I've ever heard of. Of course....I probably pay double to three times what it costs to fly in the US........ :eyebrow:

SNIP
Compensate “bumped” passengers or passengers delayed due to flight cancellations or postponements of over 12 hours by refund of 150% of ticket price.
SNIP

Thats like buying something at the store for super bowl it not working and demanding 150% back because it ruined your special party :shakehead:

Sometimes I hate Americans and their greed and selfishness, thats all this comes down to. . . Crying because something didn't happen the way it was supposed to. . .

jhbryaniv:
Quote:
SNIP
Compensate “bumped” passengers or passengers delayed due to flight cancellations or postponements of over 12 hours by refund of 150% of ticket price.
SNIP

Thats like buying something at the store for super bowl it not working and demanding 150% back because it ruined your special party :

Worse. Since the airline is STILL OBLIGATED to get you where you're going, it's more like demanding 150% of your money back, PLUS a working product.

Know any stores that are offering that deal?

Quote:
Require that these rights apply equally to all airline code-share partners including international partners.
Yep, this one will really work. Applying a standard in one country through law that in effect dictates what other sovereign nations will do. A bit heavy handed. What if the standards in a country other than the US are higher? Will there be reciprocity?

Very good point tedtim. This could also translate to security. If people think that the security measures we now have are strict, look at El Al, the safest airline in the world. Should we be implementing their measures?

ohgodive's tone and passion in this thread raises some interesting questions for me. I question the motivation of his AIRLINE ADVOCACY? This, to me, sounds agenda driven, goal oriented and like a mission. His posts are not the product of a person questioning what is the proper proceedure to prevent the Jetblue debacle from accurring again, to the defense of the industry from ANY system that would hold it accountable at all. Is this person a shill for the industry, or just a contrarian?

Any suggestion of remedy, passenger restitution, corrective measures or prevention are met with many industry "talking point" rebutals. Seems odd to me. A simple thing like defining what constitutes what was OBVIOUS ABUSE is deflected and the softer word EXCESSIVE is substituted. Anyone that does not admit that what occured on JetBlue was passenger abuse, is, in my estimation, not capable of reasonable discussion on this matter.

Back
Top Bottom