Paralyzed by choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are looking at returning to Cozumel. The first visit was so incredible.

We stayed at the Sabor our first visit, and were pleased. However, even while we were there they were cutting areas to add to Secrets- so I'm not real sure we want to go back. Plus, we'd like to stay in town to get a chance to eat at really great restaurants.

Problem is, there are 10,000 hotels in town. Can anyone give me specific recommendations?
We want something budget (no Palace, not sure if that is in town anyway), and walking distance to restaurants, so not too far out of town. We won't have a car, and already will need to taxi to the marina daily, so won't have much money left for cabs.

Once I figure this step out, I'll be back asking for recommendations of where to eat, so if you want to sprinkle those in, I'll take 'em :)

Skittl,

Do you have to have a Hotel/Resort ? After staying at a good handful of the hotels over the past 12 years, DH and I have found the happiest place for us at Villa Escondida. It is a small 4 room B & B located in the center of town, on Avenida 10 between Calle 3 and Rosada Salas. (The Red Door-across the street from La Choza) It is wonderful there....swimming pool, well taken care of, wi-fi, Community fridge/microwave, awesome rooms and VERY Quiet. Magda and David are so wonderful and take care of their guests very well at the same time affording privacy. Magda's Breakfasts are AMAZING BTW. :) Of course, being in town, walking to restaurants , the town square, shopping and people watching is so easy. We have never rented a car and rarely use a Taxi. Taxi's are easily found starting early in the AM to get you to Caleta or wherever you wish to go. Worst case, just walk two blocks West toward the waterfront and a Taxi WILL be there.

Also in town, Michael and I have stayed at the Vista del Mar. It is located on Melgar, Next to Casa Mexicana, almost across the street from the town Pier. This is a small hotel. Clean, close to everything, small cooling off pool, light breakfast served to the room in the morning. For some, the street noise can be distracting, however, it really is quiet during the night. We always asked for and fortunately got an upper floor room. The town facing rooms are quieter, however, I found them darker and not as pleasant at the oceanview rooms. Of course, there is Casa Mexicana next door. From reviews, there are many folks here who enjoy this hotel. However, it does not have a "Real" swimming pool and is even more shallow than the cooling off pool at Vista del Mar.

Best Wishes !!
Double S

In my opinion you can't go wrong with Colonial Suites or Suites Bahia and you also get a great free buffet breakfast at Casa Mex. If you are one of those people who need a pool I would suggest the Barracuda,my wife stays there all the time and really likes the place. When I go alone I stay at a hotel called Suites Vima which is a very nice place with 12 rooms run by a local family.Very nice large room super clean with good air,fridge and cable TV. Vima is located on 10 street around the corner from Zermats bakery.
If you dive with Tres Pelicanos or Opal's you won't have to worry about cabs as they will both pay for your trip back and forth to the calete. I dive with both and recommend them highly.

Do you have to have a Hotel/Resort ?

Nope, just need a bed in a private room with bathroom (I was looking at cruises that required shared rooms and bathrooms and husband vetoed that...) :) Thanks for the recommendation.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2014 at 05:00 PM ----------

If you dive with Tres Pelicanos or Opal's you won't have to worry about cabs as they will both pay for your trip back and forth to the calete. I dive with both and recommend them highly.

I've looked at Suites Bahia, glad to know it is a decent choice.

I've also looked at Tres Pelicanos, and would consider them as an alternate if my op is booked, but Alison was so fabulous and fit my style of diving so well, I would have a hard time going anywhere else unless she was booked. Unfortunately, she doesn't pick up downtown.

Nope, just need a bed in a private room with bathroom.

I've also looked at Tres Pelicanos, and would consider them as an alternate if my op is booked, but Alison was so fabulous and fit my style of diving so well, I would have a hard time going anywhere else unless she was booked. Unfortunately, she doesn't pick up downtown.
I'm pretty sure most hotels in town have private beds and bathrooms so if that's all you need, pick one at random.

No disrespect to Allison, but just as there are "10,000 hotels" there are also "10,000 dive ops", many that will pick up in town and provide the same "bed and bathroom", i.e. 2 tanks that all come from the same place anyway, and a boat ride to the same sites that the other 9,999 dive ops frequent. Personally, one of my favorite things about Cozumel diving as compared to other locales is the ease of getting picked up at a nearby dock instead of having to drive or taxi each way to the boat. But that's just a personal preference, clearly YMMV.

I have stayed at Hotel Cozumel. It is clean, friendly. the rooms are good sized and comfortable. The pool is the biggest on the island, so they say. You can get breakfast there (in a package), there is a gear locker by the pier. Your op can pick you up there. I like it there, nothing special or fancy. It is a 10 minute walk to downtown and all the eateries. No need for a car or a cab. I like it there but as always, others think differently. The only other place I have stayed is when we rented a condo at El Cantil. Of course I liked that better but it was a little more expensive because it was just my wife and I. It was very nice and close to the Mega. My wife liked it there. She isn't a diver so she enjoyed hanging out on there and the extra room.

Nope, just need a bed in a private room with bathroom (I was looking at cruises that required shared rooms and bathrooms and husband vetoed that...) :) Thanks for the recommendation.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2014 at 05:00 PM ----------

I have always enjoyed the Bahia, I actually prefer it over Casa Mexicana but you still get the excellent Casa Mexicana breakfast buffet. It is about 1 block from TP who takes care of the transportation to the Caleta and only 2 blocks off the square.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom