Paradise Springs Dive Report 10/18/2003

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys -

StarrySkies and I went diving at Paradise Springs this Saturday. Paradise is about 2 hours North of Orlando.

We arrived at 9:00AM and had the place to ourselves. We signed in, watched a video taped briefing, and looked at the relief map. The owner explained that the map identified that tightest areas and that the actual cavern was much larger.

Sure, whatever.

We drove to the spring and discovered that it is pretty much a sinkhole in the back of someone's yard. A very pretty sinkhole, mind you.

We geared up and headed in. I was using my new Manta spring straps. Yay! I've had them on my splits for a long time. Finally got some for my Rocket Fins. Very nice, if somewhat pricey.

The water was very clear. From the surface you can see the top of the debris cone.

We hopped in and down we went. The water was incredibly clear. Very good vis. The caverns are very large. There is a platform set up on one side of the debris cone for bouyancy tests and classes. The bottom silts easy, so good bouyancy and kicks are a must!

The cavern is very large. Maybe 3 times the size of Ginnie's ballroom. There is a permanent guideline that runs from about 30' down to 100'. The line ends at the cave entrance.

When the sun is in the right position, the light comes through the trees and plays up and down the length of the cavern. Incredibly beautiful.

There are lots of things to see. Sand dollars about 10" across are imbedded in the limestone. There are several fossils embedded in the rock. There is a whalebone right at the entrance. Very cool.

The dives were great.

Dive 1: 55 minutes, 114 feet, EAN 35, HP80.
This was our first dive. We spent a lot of time down at depth checking out the cavern. Found the whale bone, sand dollar, fossils, and the dragon statue. Spent time with the lights out just looking up at the entrance. Very pretty.

I managed to silt the poo out of the top of the debris cone. Pat and I were talking and I wasn't watching where my kicks were going. I hate that.

Pat was very cold after the very long exposure.

We had some pineapple during the SI and generally wondered why no one else was at the site. Watched the cows wander around in the neihbors pasture.

Dive 2: 30 minutes, 100 feet, Air, HP80. 2nd dive.
Lots of bouyancy practice, ascending and descending and just relaxings. Got out early. We did this on air, so we couldn't stay down too long. :( I managed to plonk down on the bottom while practicing dumping my dry suit, shooting a picture, and backing up at the same time. Doh!

An open water class arrived during the SI, but they did not have their medical waivers so they were not allowed to dive. Another group arrived sans gear. They asked questions about the equipment we were using and then left.

Dive 3: 30 minutes, 110' EAN 32, LP120.
The last dive of the day. We got in the water around 3:30. The sun light was lined up with the cavern and was making spectacular light shows up and down the walls. Very cool. More sightseeing and general relaxing. Pat was a bit cold, and we hopped out early.

Really cool dives. Very pretty and very relaxing. A lot of fun. Highly recommended.

Peter

Very nice, notice that the bottom is visible

Maybe 30' down or so. Clear water :)

Not nearly as scary as you thought, eh? I think he is down around 40' or so. I really need a diffuser for my light.

Great trim and bouyancy. Hovering off of an outcrop.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom