Panic Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some more suggestions:

1. Keep your eyes focused on something. Could be the descent line, your buddy, the approaching bottom. Starring off into the "big blue" can be disorientating and disturbing.

2. Give your mind some pattern to focus on. Not anything too complex, just something to keep the mind busy so it doesn't wander off into scary thoughts. Like, have a descent task plan in your mind: Check air - Check Depth - Stop at 10 meters - Signal OK - Relaxed breaths - Check Air ... Rehearse it before the dive then mentally talk yourself through this task sequence.

3. Do some breathing control exercises. As part of suggestion 2 above, at preset intervals (eg surface, 5 meters, 10 meters, etc), stop moving, hold the line, look at your buddy and consciously take 3 long, slow, deep breaths. Repeat throughout the descent.

Even when you are an experienced diver, point 3 is worthwhile continuing. A set of 3 long, slow, deep breaths upon reaching the target depth for the dive will relax you and help reduce your air consumption for the remainder of the dive.

Regards
Peter

I have had the same thing happen to me...and still after 100 + dives, it occurs. I honestly feel I psych myself out at times. I took a Rescue Diver course and I have to say it certainly helped me to feel more at ease. I find that if I concentrate on nice even deep breaths and knowing that I am in control helps me to relax a bit more. One little thing can throw you off....for you that was your mask flooding more than usual. I am sure you will find with more dives, this will alleviate. I tried to do more dives at a lesser depth just to get myself back into things and to make myself feel more at ease with my diving ability. It's great of you to continue to dive and not put it aside because you think you can't do it. You can, and you will....just know and recognize your limits and be safe.:wink:

I started getting panic attacks during any lengthy stress, following a bad two-day trip down Hells Canyon, where I had to row class-V rapids to escape the canyon after the so-called pilot gave up. Subsequently flying, which I had loved, became torture. It eased off with time, but came back during employment-changes, and also on the following "vacation".

I had panic attacks off and on during 2 weeks of OW & AdvOW class in Belize. Contributing factors included: first overseas trip alone; last minute change from known Cozumel folks to unknown Belize dive-resort due to Hurricane Wilma; airline lost all gear for 10 days; resort's gear was falling apart (HP hose broke during night dive, etc); "instructor" couldn't produce own credentials when it finally occurred to me to check (resort-owner signed off my certs but never dove); essentially no instruction; their borrowed PADI text was over 10 years old; resort's dive boat was beached, dove from water taxi with no lights, only one engine that died on several occasions while I was waiting for pickup or we were crossing the reef surf with post-hurricane surge. Oh, and a leaky mask.

Now that I know panic attacks can/will happen, I have studied them and accomodate them in my planning. I concur with the previously posted CO2 build-up analysis. I take refresher courses and re-cert for the skills in which my uncertainty may be leveraged in panic. I avoid diving when ambient stress is high (it's supposed to be fun). When an attack comes on in a non-threatening environment, I sometimes try to step outside myself and study the experience while it is happening, rather than simply stop it, so its unfamiliarity doesn't contribute as much to the next one. To learn to control panic attacks, I highly recommend yoga, or for a couple hundred bucks you can buy a biofeedback device called Resperate that taught me breath control (to relax, focus and interrupt the panic spiral), and improved my bouyancy and gas-management skills considerably without intending to.

I had panic attacks off and on during 2 weeks of OW & AdvOW class in Belize. Contributing factors included: first overseas trip alone; last minute change from known Cozumel folks to unknown Belize dive-resort due to Hurricane Wilma; airline lost all gear for 10 days; resort's gear was falling apart (HP hose broke during night dive, etc); "instructor" couldn't produce own credentials when it finally occurred to me to check (resort-owner signed off my certs but never dove); essentially no instruction; their borrowed PADI text was over 10 years old; resort's dive boat was beached, dove from water taxi with no lights, only one engine that died on several occasions while I was waiting for pickup or we were crossing the reef surf with post-hurricane surge. Oh, and a leaky mask.

Panic attacks? It is amazing you still get in the water.

I came as close to panicking as I ever have on a dive in 65-deg water off NC. I had a lot of firsts that day--first time in my new 7mm suit in salt water, first time with a pony bottle, first time with a goody bag, first dive with my regulator that I'd rebuilt myself for the first time, and the DM was in a hurry to get us off the boat. My mask was a little too tight so I made a hasty adjustment.

Sure enough, my mask leaked, and I wasn't weighted enough to descend. I bailed on that dive. Next dive, with 10 more pounds of lead, I descended just fine, but the mask still leaked like a seive. I made it to 50+ feet, felt like I couldn't breathe, really wanted to bolt for the surface (but didn't) and bailed on that dive. $150 gone just like that!

Two weeks later, I dove that same setup in the quarry and discovered that the leaky mask was the true culprit. The chilly water on my face triggered the angst. I knew something had triggered it, but was totally blown away by its being the cold water. I'd had my mask come off in warm water at 100' once and I did not even begin to panic on that dive.

I learned a lot that day but it took me a couple of weeks for it to sink in.

I agree with everybody who has answered you so far, and would also urge you to make sure that your mask fits properly.
I've learned a lot by reading these suggestions, thanks everybody!
And for me, a speedy descent, also a head first descent, just doesnt work. I need to take it slow, go feet first, and then I feel just fine.
@ srchtech: I get the feeling from your post that you expect an awful lot from yourself. I can only speak for myself, but it took me WAY more than 10 dives to even begin to feel comfortable. The gear, the sounds, the current, salt water vs. fresh water, visibilty, all influence your comfort level.
And how did you feel before the dive? Had you slept well, were you able to take your time getting ready for the dive, or were you rushed? I have felt impairment bordering on panic twice from being narced; both times I was really tired getting into the water.
You've gone to the trouble, time and expense to learn this wonderful sport; take it easy and learn to enjoy it by giving yourself a break; you dont have to master everything all at once, nor can you!

SRH tech>
You were out with an excellent outfit, Scubatech. Nancy and crew run a first rate operation. Did you share with her that this was your first SW dive and the max depth you had been in FW? We really enjoy diving out of Destin. I tend to be an anxious diver, but partially contribute this to getting "lost" and having to surface, along with DH and a newbie who was diving with us out of Tarpon Springs FL. If I know where I am in relation to the acent line, I am fine. We went out with Scubatech Sat. of LD Weekend. Gustavo was brewing and the vis abt 20 ft., but I stayed close to the anchor line and did fine. The more dives you make, the more comfortable you will become. I noted you and your wife were diving together. My DH and I got certified as newlyweds and are still happily wed diving partners since 1977.

It happened to me at 65ft on dive #28. First time with a new BC, first tank of nitrox, 10lb overweight. It was a shore with lots of waves and a 6ft surge. We had to swim through large kelp bed, then descended in a nice rock formation full of sea urchins (spiny creatures) and couldn't get neutrally buoyant. When we got to 65ft, my heart started racing, and hyperventilating, I tried to calm myself down…nothing worked. I signaled my buddy….I’m ending the dive, I’m going up. I climbed a little fast (my computer said 86ft/min). When I got to the surface, I regain my composure; we went back down and swam back to the shore. I went back on dive # 57 with nitrox, 10lb less and more experience. I started to get that feeling again…got control of it and had a great dive.
Halifax Harbour NS, Canada, Water temp 43°F, 7mm Arctic Bare wetsuit.

Where are you diving in Costa Rica?

We were there in April and let me tell you, some days it was a big challenge!

We had water temps in the low 80's for the first two days then, when we jumped in on day three, the water temp had dropped to the low 70's. Talk about a shock! Also, there were dives with a lot of surge at the surface and underwater. Finally viz started out at 25 feet and dropped to 10-15 feet as the week progressed.

Please be careful.

Remember one thing, no one has ever died from a panic attack. Another thing to remember is that a panic attack will pass. The attack could have been brought on by you being tired or not really sure what to expect. I had/have this problem, but what I have leearned to do is to let people I'm diving with that I need to have some king of eye contact every so often and it really helps. Just remember you have everything you need on your back. Here is another solution if that happens again; put your hand over your heart and thinf of something that you are thankful for it doesn't have to be deep, just maybe the nice sunny day...and take a couple of deep breaths, you should feel better that's called the Grattitude Exercise. Google "Touch Field Therapy" and that's another really good process to go through to calm yourself down. I have used both and they do work. Remember to ride the attack out, it will not last. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom