Panay Explorers Reef Dome Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Baby D,
I notice that you are letting your domes cure for 30 days before you deploy them! We actually deployed ours after about a week, once they were hard enough to move then we moved them into their watery grave! The best way to cure concrete is to keep it soaked with water so you have no need to have an extended period of curing on land first, also when you make a lot of domes it takes up lots of space so she sooner you can deploy them the better! I also believe that by letting them cure in the sea, the concrete gets saturated very quickly with salt water making the structure more attractive to the marine organisms that will live there!
Thats my thinking anyway!
Have fune and get them in the water!

We are soaking them everyday with freshwater. I put 2 in the water after one week of curing at a depth of 3 meters to see how they would react. In 3 days they were soaked through and through. I pulled and tugged on them and pieces were flaking off. I figured it wouldn't hurt to let them cure some more before we put the rest in the ocean. This is more of a precaution than anything else. I want them to last a loooooooong time....LOLOLOL.

New Sizes

The first of the "other" sizes came out of the molds Thursday. It seems that we have really created a monster! The darn things are really heavy. I suspect we'll only make a few and special requests. :D

045.JPG

Five more today

The guys had a chance to use some of the cement leftover from the batch they made for the garage.......

046.JPG

Now that we have hired two instructors, I hope we can start to get these rascals in the water. :D

Either that or open the first "artificial reef dome museum" of Culasi! i'm sure the tourists will be flocking soon...:rofl3:

BabyD, get thos buggers in the water ASAP!:coffee:

The guys had a chance to use some of the cement leftover from the batch they made for the garage.......

View attachment 54824

Now that we have hired two instructors, I hope we can start to get these rascals in the water. :D

hey guys, this project is spectacular!!!!! i am currently talking to these guys about working with them in the philippines. reading about this project, and the fact that they are scubaboard members, makes me feel very good about possibly becoming a member of their team. great job guys!!!

We are waiting on Russ and Rachel to get a break from teaching to place the domes. I'll get to it....just takes time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom