Panay Explorers Reef Dome Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Babydamulag

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We started our reef dome project this week. The first two reef domes have come out of the molds. Thanks to the great folks that invented this wonderful reef building tool (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...i-bay-5-000-artificial-reef-dome-project.html / all credit goes to these folks), we are making our own. We are making our domes slightly smaller than the original design. We want to be able to make a lot (reads several hundred) in a small area, and still have the diver able to place them with relative ease. I have to admit, these things are pretty cool. We will make a few more and then start placement. We have an open area in front of our resort property that is barren. I think we'll start at 12 meters and go down to about 18 meters with the placement of the reef domes. As a side note, my boat captain said we should devise a way to stack two together (open end to open end) and create a large hollow space as well as substrate for new coral growth. I am working on that idea. This reef dome stuff is WAY cool!!!

Cool! Please do tell us how this all pans out. Pictures please too.

before and after pics would be awesome...

the dome with coral growth looks real cool!

before and after pics would be awesome...

the dome with coral growth looks real cool!

before and after caloy slaps the domes with his free diving fins?

Ok.....enough already with the free diving fins! :)
I took some pictures give me a bit to post them.

That is great news! I am looking forward to hearing more about how the project goes for you...

Reef Dome #1

reef ball1.jpg

Reef Dome Factory

072.jpg

054.jpg

062.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

We used large bamboo (4") for the hole forms. used medium size wash tubs for the base form, used mazzola oil drums for the inside form, mazzola oil to coat the forms, 1 bag of cement (1 to 4 mix) for 5 molds, wire inserted the cement, and about 1 hours worth of work for 5 molds. It is really pretty easy to do. We will put them in the water after about 10 days of curing. :D

Initial cost (5 reef domes):
wash tubs - 800 pesos
used drums - 500 pesos
bamboo - 20 pesos
cooking oil - 10 pesos
1 bag cement - 208 pesos
labor/transportation - 300 pesos

After production starts (5 reef domes):
labor/transportation - 300 pesos
cooking oil - 20 pesos
1 bag of cement - 208 pesos

So, all in all....pretty cheap to give back to the environment. I figure we'll make a couple hundred for starters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom