Palm Beach/Jupiter Anyone been out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

October/November are nearly always "hit and miss"...and in general winter is that way thanks to the wind...

I really have found this dive season (summer) to have really good diving weather/conditions. We did 50 dive so far this year, which is pretty good considering we have to work all week long!

Oh to be closer to the ocean! I could dive every day if I wanted to explore a lake with 5' vis for every dive... I've had 2 dives in the last 3 months..

But anyway, so you guys think by mid-late december that it'll be clearer and the boats will be going out more? Trying to nail down a time to get out there.

Oh to be closer to the ocean! I could dive every day if I wanted to explore a lake with 5' vis for every dive... I've had 2 dives in the last 3 months..

But anyway, so you guys think by mid-late december that it'll be clearer and the boats will be going out more? Trying to nail down a time to get out there.

It is nearly impossible to know: I've seen flat calm marine conditions in December and I've seen conditions that required all boats to cancel trips because of 10 foot waves. You just never know: predicting marine conditions this far out is sort of like predicting whether a football game will be cloudy or sunny a month from now.

If you stay near Palm Beach, Blue Heron Bridge is a good backup.... see the thread call Blue Heron Bridge Trolls for information. While BHB can have some bad vis, it usually is decent.

In December you just have to begin checking the forecast every day beginning about a week before you dive. The best for marine information is NOAA. We can get spectacular calm spells in the winter and some of the best vis of the year between fronts, but there is no way to predict whether it will "calm down" in December because that depends completely on whether cold fronts are moving through.

I love winter diving and dive year round, but winter dives are often spontanteous, like "it's calm tomorrow, let's go."

In fact, did that yesterday (will work on Sunday to make it up) when it calmed down for the first time in about 3 weeks, and had truly excellent diving off of Jupiter, with sharks, surprising # of goliath groupers, huge stingrays, 5 turtles, lots large gag grouper, lots of tropicals, and generally good vis from 80 feet in some spots to 40' in others.

I do have to say that the long spell of windy weather we have had this Oct is pretty unusual (going to blow hard again for the next 4 days). Usually there are a few days of wind followed by a few days of calm. Hopefully that pattern will be back in December and give you a better shot at getting out.

Yesterday was the day. It certainly laid down, wish I could have been out there. Today is a 180 from yesterday. Looks like 20 out of the east and raining today. This weekend is a blowout too. Maybe by Wednesday it will lay down. Guess I'll get the crew on stand by and get the boat ready to go. Looking forward to those occasional winter NW winds and flat seas.

Yesterday was the day. It certainly laid down, wish I could have been out there. Today is a 180 from yesterday. Looks like 20 out of the east and raining today. This weekend is a blowout too. Maybe by Wednesday it will lay down. Guess I'll get the crew on stand by and get the boat ready to go. Looking forward to those occasional winter NW winds and flat seas.

Hey reck diver, are you associated with a shop or charter op? If so, which one?

Diving for 24 years, own a boat and am a diving instructor and I get seasick just reading the posts. However, there is a bright side. Aquatic Ops is conducting an Advanced Open Water class Sunday November 20 at Lake Victoria in Homestead. $180 pp. If you guys are not AOW certified might be a way to enhance your skills and still get in the water. Contact me at AquaticOpsDiving@gmail.com if you are interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom