Night beach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davel518

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Wondering if anyone has tried beach diving at night. I imagine even the first line of rocks/reef offshore is quite interesting after dark. Is this legal? I assume a flag with a light is required. My plan would be to go off Deerfield beach, far enough from the pier that I would be out of range of fisherman, but close enough that boats would be steering clear. Stay near the bottom in case any boats do come by.

Any thoughts?

Sure.

But I refrain from it because thats a great time and location to see tiger shark feeding close up........too close up.

Well now you've caught my interest...
Sure.

But I refrain from it because thats a great time and location to see tiger shark feeding close up........too close up.

Force-E and Pura Vida sponsor several night dives a month at Blue Heron Bridge. I've done several of those but that's all the night beach diving I've done.
Blue heron bridge is great but it's a bit of a drive for me, tide only properly lines up occasionally, and the place is always a zoo. Better than daytime of course, but usually gets pretty stirred up and in a hurry. I'm willing to trade having less to see for the serenity of a relaxed dive.

Blue heron bridge is great but it's a bit of a drive for me, tide only properly lines up occasionally, and the place is always a zoo. Better than daytime of course, but usually gets pretty stirred up and in a hurry. I'm willing to trade having less to see for the serenity of a relaxed dive.

It’s not a zoo for night dives. I’ve never seen the first row of parking along the beach completely full let alone the other rows. Just an FYI if you ever decide to give it a go.

It’s not a zoo for night dives. I’ve never seen the first row of parking along the beach completely full let alone the other rows. Just an FYI if you ever decide to give it a go.
I've done it several times - it's certainly better than the daytime because you don't have non-diving beachgoers and all of the OW classes. I have found that there are still a lot of lousy divers stirring things up and chasing around the life. However, the flat sandy areas have a lot of cool stuff and are usually not as crowded as the rubble piles. It certainly is a unique dive that I would recommend doing at least once.

Sure.

Do tell more... I wasn't aware that you'd see Tigers feeding at Pompano during night dives.

Theyll see you:
66ffcfce44d545acc5a84f479360ea7c.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom