Thoughts on Jupiter vs West Palm vs Boynton vs LBTS for Weekend Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting the itch to do a 2 or 3 day weekend trip to S.E. Florida in mid-March. I've been to Jupiter once before and liked it, but I am open to trying somewhere else and my buddy might prefer less drift diving. Thinking boat dives, but would be open to guided shore dives (but want to do at least 2 dives per day, so thinking not BHB).

Could you please tell me how West Palm, Boynton, LBTS and other places close to Palm Beach International Airport might compare to Jupiter? I prefer natural reefs/ledges to wrecks, but am open to wrecks if interesting critters around it (I'm not wreck certified, so not penetrating). Not specifically looking for sharks, and not interested in baited dives. My buddy for this trip is fairly new (12 dives, Gulf & Cozumel, not yet AOW or Nitrox). I'm cheap, so always appreciate knowing any budget options for lodging, etc. Appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.

Getting the itch to do a 2 or 3 day weekend trip to S.E. Florida in mid-March. I've been to Jupiter once before and liked it, but I am open to trying somewhere else and my buddy might prefer less drift diving. Thinking boat dives, but would be open to guided shore dives (but want to do at least 2 dives per day, so thinking not BHB).

Could you please tell me how West Palm, Boynton, LBTS and other places close to Palm Beach International Airport might compare to Jupiter? I prefer natural reefs/ledges to wrecks, but am open to wrecks if interesting critters around it (I'm not wreck certified, so not penetrating). Not specifically looking for sharks, and not interested in baited dives. My buddy for this trip is fairly new (12 dives, Gulf & Cozumel, not yet AOW or Nitrox). I'm cheap, so always appreciate knowing any budget options for lodging, etc. Appreciate your thoughts/suggestions.
and every operator here is drift diving cause usually of the current and open space / size of the reefs here.. more anchor diving down in the keys...

all good diving! all drift diving. In general, Palm Beach offers the most diversity of dive sites from lots of easy 60 foot reefs to great recreational wrecks, to deeper advanced and technical stuff.

You'll find me diving with Stuart Scuba. Shore dives are pretty much BHB...most others are disappointing in comparison.

........mid-March. ... I'm cheap, so always appreciate knowing any budget options for lodging, etc.
That's the absolute PEAK of spring breakers in florida and you might be in for some sticker shock on lodging. Best to book your choices this week because all the good ones are sold out. This weekend is the 3day presidents holiday and the airport is jammed with lines.

Hi @Rob9876

I've had a home just north of Boynton Beach for about 11 years. I frequently dive Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm. From my home, it is 3 miles to the Boynton Marina, 15 miles to West Palm, and 30 miles to Jupiter, generally very easy drives.

Your buddy should get nitrox certified before your visit. Easy to do online with a short visit to your LDS. If not, your buddy will likely be limiting some dives due to NDL, if he or she is OK with gas consumption. The reefs in Jupiter are generally deeper than some of the reefs in West Palm and Boynton, air dives are short. The operators I use in Jupiter and West Palm put a guide in the water and you do not have to carry a flag. You can dive with the guide or ascend on your own DSMB. None of the operators in Boynton put a guide in the water, each diver or group carries a flag.

Personally, I think Boynton has the nicest reef and the most reef fish. The inside, west facing reef is generally about 60 feet. Jupiter probably has the best opportunity to see bigger stuff, sharks and Goliath Grouper on the reefs. I think that West Palm is somewhere in the middle, nice reefs and some big stuff.

There are many good operators, I use Loggerhead and Starfish in Boynton, Narcosis and Walker's in West Palm, and Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter. I can't help you with accommodations, but @Divin'Papaw can. He visits frequently from the other coast.

There are many trip reports in the Florida Forum. They are easy to search by simply clicking on one of the Trip Report icons, all the trip reports will be listed
1645193008857.png

Best of luck with your visit

Budget options Mid-March? Good luck! That is still peak season with spring break on top of that. Try staying further north in Jupiter. Possibly the Fairfield Inn or La Quinta. Another option is an AirBNB in Jupiter or north in Hobe Sound area. Even those may be more than you want to spend. It depends upon your meaning of "budget". There are some other options in some of the "less desirable" areas but having stayed in a few of those establishments, I wouldn't recommend them. Stayed in the Motel 6 in Lantana once. That was eye opening. Won't do that again! But I do have some great stories from that trip to share on the boat sometime.

Yeah budget accommodations in Mid-March is there such a thing? Not trying to bust your bubble or flame you but hotels ain't cheap any time of year in that area (at least not anything safe). Pura Vida out of Riviera runs a charter as well. I have dove with them a couple of times and had a good time with them. As I am sure most of the gang down here will back me up on this you ARE probably going to be drift diving using any of the boats in the area unless you luck up on a day with very little or no current. As others have stated your buddy should get Nitrox before the trip it makes things easier on you all as a team. Good luck and safe diving.

I know you mentioned BHB may be out because of only 1 tank, but keep it as a backup because the dive would be much longer, 90 mins to over 2 hours. Depending on the tide time it could even be done after boat diving although for me that's a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom