Palm Beach Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The grey trigger fish are THICK.
We can spear them thru the head and they will still bite your thigh thru your wetsuit while on the stringer.
Nice video !!

... We did Bath & Tennis and Dive-o-Rama.

The grey trigger fish are THICK. I was harassed by the largest pack I've ever encountered before. They were after every shiny bit of stainless steel on my kit!

The triggers there have been thick for many years. The FWC size limits prevent the local fishermen from thinning them out.

The triggers there have been thick for many years. The FWC size limits prevent the local fishermen from thinning them out.
Very true, but even given that, they are thicker than usual at the moment. I actually find them humorous & fun to dive with, until they start biting!

Very true, but even given that, they are ticker than usual at the moment. I actually find them humorous & fun to dive with, until they start biting!
Trigger3.jpg

Never dove with them so couldn’t speak first hand.

Good addition. I’ll have to try them out.
I use Aqualife a few times a year. Very chill boat. Closest dive boat to the inlet. I think that Skip, the owner, has a sixth sense for understanding who is a capable diver and who isn’t. If you’re experienced, he lets you do your own thing. On the flip side, he handles less experienced divers very well and is good with the tourists. Does a mix of OW, AOW and technical dives.

I got out on Jan 1. We went north of the inlet. Water temp was 75, vis 60ft, and limited 6 divers on lobster. Seas were supposed to be 1.5ft at 9 sec. It was more like 2ft at 4 sec.

Went out today from Riviera Beach on Narcosis. Just two of my buddies plus one solo diver. Weather was foggy, somewhat rainy earlier and seas up top weren’t terrible, but not great: 4ft with moderate winds. Temperature when departing the marina was 70F. Happy to get out since our first boat was cancelled yesterday and our second attempt down in Pompano later that day was also scrapped.

Down below, conditions were amazing. 77 degree sea temperatures, almost zero current and 75+ ft. viz.

First site was Governor’s Walk wrecks. We hit all the wrecks. Run time of 50 mins, Max depth of 89 ft, average 71 ft. Sea life was plentiful, including three lemon sharks and one very large Goliath grouper (redundant, I know).

Second site was North Double Ledges Reef. Similar conditions, lots of sea life, very relaxing mild current to drift with. A very playful green moray that the solo diver guy enjoyed feeding (no comment). 48 mins, 90ft. Max, 67 ft. average.

Boat ride back had air temps of 65 with a chilly breeze as we were under way. Bundle up!

I love winter diving in South Florida. If you’re ever hesitant to come down here in the winter, there’s no reason to be. Tons of fun to be had. We’re really blessed.

Went out today from Riviera Beach on Narcosis....
I'm fortunate to have private boats to dive from whenever I want, but if I was going to dive on a commercial boat, this would be the one. Several years ago, I had an equipment failure & ended up separated from my group. My boat didn't see my safety sausage. I was left adrift & alone. Narcosis saved my bacon that day. I owe 'em one. Good people. They have their act together.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom