Palm Beach Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vickie, Krista, et. al,

I'll be diving in WPB on consecutive Sundays in June, the 19th and the 26th.

One of our local dive shops runs scuba camps during the summer. Two years ago my oldest son went and got his certification. My brother and I tagged along for check out dive day, and the instructor (who was also my brother's instructor) has asked the LDS if they would pay for us to dive so that we could increase the experienced adult diver count for both of this year's groups (I probably would have paid anyway since my other son will be in the second group).

Anyhoo...the LDS always uses Dive Solutions for their students, but if either/both of you are working (or if any of you other Conchs will be diving out of the Riviera Beach Marina that day) I'd like to come over and say hi - maybe we could even have a post dive beer at the tiki bar.

OSCAR LARA:
Hey Vickie, I Met You A Few Times Allready Most Recently With The C & N Deaf Group.i'm The One On The Top Right "oscar".it's Been A Pleasure Diving With You All.tell Lil Mickey To Keep The Watermelon Off The Ground Or I'll Tell Captain "lol". You All Take Care!

Heya Oscar, glad to see you on board here... I'm usually much much more active but with moving and still trying to find all the parts to my computer, I just haven't been able to get online as often as I would like. It was a pleasure diving with you the few times I've been able too.. Your gonna make a heck of a DM (if you aren't already finshed yet). Not often do I see someone I would honestly entrust my own child's life with, but I can honestly say, I'd trust you.. Bravo to you and your Instructor! Next time your diving in my area give me a call 772-370-2144

augie:
Vickie, Krista, et. al,

I'll be diving in WPB on consecutive Sundays in June, the 19th and the 26th.

One of our local dive shops runs scuba camps during the summer. Two years ago my oldest son went and got his certification. My brother and I tagged along for check out dive day, and the instructor (who was also my brother's instructor) has asked the LDS if they would pay for us to dive so that we could increase the experienced adult diver count for both of this year's groups (I probably would have paid anyway since my other son will be in the second group).

Anyhoo...the LDS always uses Dive Solutions for their students, but if either/both of you are working (or if any of you other Conchs will be diving out of the Riviera Beach Marina that day) I'd like to come over and say hi - maybe we could even have a post dive beer at the tiki bar.

Augie, I'll be on the PM dives Sunday on A1A.....are you diving AM or PM?

Heya Augie, I'm DM'ing the pm dive on Saturday and both dives on Sunday out on my boat (Mardi Gras Float with A1A) Make sure to say hey :D !!!!!!

What are the current temps? Rick is thinking of taking Christina down to Boynton for her final two checkout dives - though he has alegiances with loggerhead from a long time back. Might catch you if you are around, dont know if we are AM or PM yet.

todays dive were great.

Dive 1: the ever so famous 112 site, 5 big giant Jew fish hanging out, tons of big cudas checking us out, nice little loggerhead turtle that let me play with her. Loads of pretty fishies (too many to name). North current was about a knot and a half with viz around 40 feet. Water temp was a warm 82 down on the bottom (90ft) with seas just as glassey as all ever.

Dive 2: Juno Ledge, I wish the conditions were as nice as the first dive, but no where near. The current kicked up to at least 4 knots, it was so strong that we couldn't even make it to the ledge. Viz dropped down to maybe 20 feet, all other weather conditions stayed the same.

Dive 3: Lobster ledge (aka The Cove) nice dive. A little further south, the viz was nice with about 60feet, current was much more mild. I'm guessing the strong current came in there first and cleaned it up for us. Saw several nice size lobsters down there just waiting to be snagged up for dinner. I think I actually heard one laughing at me.

This inshore water is the pits - out to 150' deep, it's greenish brown, then out to a few miles offshore, it gets bluer but still with a lot of particulate matter in the water column. Out in the Gulf Stream, it's glorious crystal blue water but the 8,000' depth sure would make for some long deco times.
The outgoing tidal flows are still brown and silty in Broward and south Palm. At least when it does clear, sea lice season will be over.

Today's dives were great. I took two students out with Pura Vida Divers today. ScubaKat11 (my 13 yr old daughter) completed her first Rescue Diver open water scenarios, and an Advance student doing his U/W Photo dive. I couldn't ask for much better conditions.

Our first dive was on Paul's reef. That's one of my favorites. It's far enough south or WPB that not many charters go down that far. It was great! The vis was 40-50 (not the best), but the reef was just full of life. I sure hope we all got some good pictures, because there were plenty of opportunities. The water temp was a nice 82 degrees. I love this time of year... it was a nice slow current.. and the ocean was FLAT!!!!

The best part was the end of the dive... That's when I started hitting ScubaKat11 with scenarios. Well, first I hurt myself and started freaking out. It took ScubaKat11 some time to realize that I was in trouble, but once she realized it... she calmed me down and started taking me up. She controlled the ascent, because I was still in a very volatile state of mind. When we hit about 30 feet, I decided I was out of air... so, she calmly handed me her octo, and we continued the ascent and completed our 3 minute safety stop. ScubaKat11 was in total control. Well, as we reached the surface... I had to go into a wild state of panic. Well, she was one step ahead of me and was already inflating my BC. My BC tightened around me so quick, that I was shocked and my state of panic quickly subsided. At that point, she didn't trust me any more, and grabbed me from behind and hauled me back to the boat. She got the best of me... I wish all my students could handle scenarios as calmly as she did.

Our second dive was on 2nd Windows. The vis was a lot better.. maybe 60+. Again, the temp was 82, but the current was a bit stronger. There was one spot where it felt like there was a strong cross current. It about blew ScubaKat11 off the reef. We had to go haul her back to the ledge.

We we got in, Vickie was busy getting ready on her boat. We did get a chance to talk for a bit while she was trying to cut herself... I mean pineapples.. It was nice to see her again... I don't think I've seen her since our diverted WPB trip to Blue Springs...

Al

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom