Palm Beach dive ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We have a family friend that lives about 45 minutes west of Palm Beach. We'll be going there at some point in the future to visit but don't know when yet. Some of that has to do with the best time of year for diving.
What is the preferable time of year for diving FL in that area?
How many operators are in that area and which are the best?
I've heard of the Narcosis and a few others.
What type of diving is it? How deep, drift, what type of fish? Sealife? I won't be hunting, just getting wet and looking, not even a camera.
What kind of water temps, how should I prepare?
How layed back are the operators, do they let you dive that way you want? Minimal gear?
Someone run me through a typical day out on the water and what to expect.
I also wouldn't mind running into a few SB'ers while I'm there.
I'll post up when I have dates firmed up and maybe get a chance to put a few faces with names.

Hi Eric,

Diving in late Spring, Summer, and early Fall is most predictable with regard to seas and wind. The water temperature is also the highest (high 70s to mid 80s). I do most of my diving in Boynton Beach and use Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, and Starfish. I dive out of Jupiter and use Jupiter Dive Center. When I can't get out of Boynton or Jupiter inlets, I go out of West Palm and use Narcosis. There is world class muck, shore diving at the Blue Heron Bridge at Riviera Beach/West Palm.

The reef diving is all drift. There are also good wrecks. The Castor, in Boynton Beach, is arguably the best site for Goliath Grouper aggregation in late August, September. Jupiter is great for Lemon Shark aggregation in Winter.

All these operations are pretty flexible for competent divers and your gear would not be a problem. The drift diving is with a flag. JDC and Narcosis put a guide in the water but, if separated, you ascend on your DSMB, no problem.

The diving in SE FL is fantastic, you'll enjoy it. If I'm in FL during your visit, I would be happy to dive with you. PM me with more questions.

Good diving, Craig

As far as the "best time of year" goes, it's a question of what you want. Winter is when the lemon sharks start piling up, spring is a general shark and turtle pileup, and fall is when the goliath groupers get busy. Summer is just nice dive conditions (provided no hurricanes or nasty inlet runoff).

As far as operators, there are a lot to choose from. Narcosis, Ocean Quest, Walker's, Little Deeper, Florida Scuba Charters, Jim Abernethy Scuba Adventures, Deep Obsession ... that's just the West Palm Beach area and I may have forgotten a couple. Farther up north in Jupiter you have Jupiter Dive Center and Capt. SL8R. I really only have recent personal experience with Narcosis, Ocean Quest, and Capt. SL8R and would recommend any of those, but the other ops tend to get good reviews as well.

As far as the type of diving, it's almost always drift dives - no anchors or descent lines and live-boat drops and pickups. On the slow days you'll have to work, but some times the current can howl at up to four knots. In the latter case, stopping to smell the roses at a wreck or reef section can be difficult. I've seen people who are not used to keeping station in 1-2 knot currents blowtorch through an 80 cf tank in 15 minutes. Water depths can range from ~45 ft at the inshore spots like Breakers to 80-90 ft at the deeper wrecks. Occasionally JDC and possibly some of the other boats will go north to hit the Hole in the Wall on the Jupiter deep ledge; I think they typically don't go to the bottom but that area starts off at 120 and slopes down to 140.

Marine life - you're pretty much guaranteed to get the usual assortment of western Atlantic tropical reef fishes. Coral growth isn't as spectacular as the better-preserved Keys reefs. What the area does have in spades are big critters. During the sea turtle nesting and mating seasons (generally springtime) the reefs are coated in them. Loggerheads are probably the most common, with greens and hawksbills also abundant. You might even have a shot at seeing a Kemp's Ridley (which I have) or a leatherback (still waiting). It's possible to run into spotted or bottlenose dolphins underwater. You're almost guaranteed to spot goliath groupers even outside the aggregation season; during it you might just drop in on the Zion Train or Mizpah and have 100-200 all piled up. Some inshore sites like Shark Canyon, Juno Ledge, and Tunnels have a fair year-round pack of Caribbean reef sharks. There are also a couple of sites where resident lemon sharks hang around (note: other boats do feeding trips to some of these spots, so take that into consideration) and in the winter the "out of towners" join the party for an aggregation we still don't have a handle on (it's not for mating and it's not for pupping). In the summer you have a chance at spotting sandbar and silky sharks (typically on deeper sites). If you're at the Hole in the Wall or someone in the group is spearfishing you may have a chance at seeing bull sharks, especially in winter and spring. Tigers and great hammerheads are around, but except at certain sites where they get fed those sightings are rare and fleeting. Even rarer are the Holy S*** Quotient times where someone runs across a manta, whale shark, or great white, but it happens from time to time.

Water temps vary, but generally speaking even an apocalyptic thermocline is going to seem like bath water to a NorCal diver. Winter through spring, I would expect water temps at 68-73. It warms up into the 80s in summer, but you can also have some wicked thermoclines where down deeper the temperature is in the mid-60s. Generally speaking in winter I'm fine with a 4:3 primary suit and the (probably compressed by now) 6.5 shorts-hood-vest overpiece from my old semidry, and in summer I just do the 4:3 possibly with or without a hood. If its a balmy summer day and I'm not concerned about scrapes or looking like white meat to the sharks, I may just do a rashguard and board shorts.

As far as flexibility, one of the reasons I go up that way from Miami is that. The DM will generally be towing a flag buoy, so there's none of that "each buddy team gets a flag" stuff that gets on my nerves in Broward. There's not a lot of babysitting; just hit the water, don't do anything stupid, and come up when your gas/NDL/time is up. You are required to carry an SMB; if you don't have one most boats will have a couple spares (that said, it's a pretty inexpensive piece of gear that has saved my bacon on occasion). If you have a deployable SMB on a reel, even better. I've had a time or two when I've gotten separated from the herd, popped my SMB, and had the boat there waiting for me while I did my safety stop.

So are all these places within a few miles of each other or are we talking about hours of travel by car?
I have an SMB and all stuff.
I have virtually every combo of wetsuit available. I'd probably take the three and the 4/3. Hooded vest? Maybe it depends. I'm used to a hood so maybe a beanie?
I'd probably put a small 18lb wing on my rig so I don't give the ops heartburn.
I sounds really fun!!!

Last edited:
We will be diving Narcosis for GG and lobster season September. If you happen to visit same time you will know us by our pair of FP's

We love diving Narcosis and they will pretty much let you do your own thing. One hour dive limit but that is fairly standard in the area. I've not seen no BCD on board but have seen horsecollar.

I'm in Boynton Beach, 15 mi to West Palm and BHB, 30 miles to Jupiter. You'll have fun

I'll be bringing a handfull of FP's in aluminum.
I have a goal to get a few done and distribute them in FL.

Our friend lives in Loxahatchee (sp)
How far is that from the dive boats?

Fp's? I will be down there august 19 to 26 to do the above mentioned dives. Could use an upgrade to my rig. Let's get a scubaboard meet up going.

I'll be bringing a handfull of FP's in aluminum.
I have a goal to get a few done and distribute them in FL.
If you have one in small put me on the list. Eric (my Eric) wants one too. Not small of course. We don't live in but we do dive Florida frequently.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom