Palau, Fiji or the Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Divers,

My husband and I caught the diving bug 3 years ago and since then we've been on 2 dive trips per year and logged just about 100 dives. So far, all to the Caribbean - Bonaire (twice), Little Cayman, Cozumel, Turneffe Island (Belize), Saba - and once to Key Largo, FL. We're thinking of doing a major trip next year to either the Maldives, Palau or Fiji. We have 2-3 weeks to spend - more if we really want to. Our major interest is in the diving - we're not interested in partying on land. We like a bit of luxury. We haven't yet done a liveaboard, but would try one for a week. Any other info you might need to help with this question, let me know. I know that favorites are very personal, but any input it appreciated. Thanks!

Not on topic for this thread BUT could you rank or compare your Caribbean locations? We have about 70 dives in Key Largo and 150 + on Cozumel. Saba, Belize, Little Cayman and Roatan are on our short list to do (one) later this year. The Pacific is a couple of years away for us but interested in what info you get on this thread as well. Shoot me a PM if you like. Thanks

Not on topic for this thread BUT could you rank or compare your Caribbean locations? We have about 70 dives in Key Largo and 150 + on Cozumel. Saba, Belize, Little Cayman and Roatan are on our short list to do (one) later this year. The Pacific is a couple of years away for us but interested in what info you get on this thread as well. Shoot me a PM if you like. Thanks

Do Not go to the Indo-Pacific-Micronesia regions...you will be ruined for life!...LOL...But I'll still go to Coz if I need to get wet in the summer.

Second the vote for Indo. Palau has more sharks and other good stuff and is a beautiful place. It would get another visit from me if the airfare wasn't so ridiculous. I can go to Indo for less. Indo has all the amazing critters in the ID book, big and small. The shark you see there is the wobbegong. A big one is pretty far out close up. We found a baby in Raja Ampat.

Whether Komodo or Raja Ampat, it's good. Liveaboard is a must. Land stuff back in Bali is cool too.

My 2 cents, been to Indonesia about 25 times now in last 11 years. I have to say it is beautiful diving but getting depressing in the last few years. Fish are disappearing. Over fishing or just earth is dying. Alor last year was the most depressing. No big fish, no schools, no fish, reef fish are disappearing. They are eating them now. Corals are the best in the world I can say that. I have been diving for over 35 years, but never been to Palau so I guess have to go this year. Can anyone tell me who has the best dive guides along with the best boat?

Greetings judypots,

I too decided that a far Pacific trip was what I needed when I had only 100 dives logged. I chose Palau: two weeks back to back on the Palau Aggressor in 2007. I was (and still am after 5 yrs) only interested in the diving. Land interest = minor.

Originally I had signed up for one week. As my departure came closer, I realized that the airfare to dive trip $ ratio was out of balance, so I opted to stay on board for two weeks (and they had the space available.)

Palau diving was a whole new experience for me (very novice at the time), but it was nothing short of fantastic. A huge variety of dives: drift (new to me), big blue holes, shallow critter dives, fabulous night dives. Different types of diving, too numerous to explain. Jellyfish Lake was pretty spectacular - a once in a life time experience. I cannot begin to explain all of the different dives. Just know that ONE WEEK IS NOT ENOUGH.

Interestingly, three months later I did the Fiji Aggressor for one week. While Fiji too was a very beautiful diving experience, Palau has set the high bench mark for me. My plan is to return for another two week engagement in 2012. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Have u thought about the Philippines? If ya know where to look -- some amazing spots that offer things Palau could not. Palau (And Micronesia in general) is more HARD coral and sea fans. Not so much SOFT coral...

And if u time the trip right...could snorkel with whale sharks in Donsol, Philippines too.

I dove in Palau for 2 weeks (Land) in 2004...kayaking is great there. Maldives...is a hit or miss I think from my experience on a LOB. So many sites..one must choose carefully. Plus -- topside is quite boring IMHO. Indonesia - while I have only dived on Bali...is also harder traveling. High humidity and population pressure and noisy motorcycles. And crazy/wild driving on Bali...crazyness second only to India/Sri Lanka in my book. Never been to Fiji.

As it is a first trip so far for scuba...maybe skip the Maldives due to distance (I did that while living in Bangkok).

If one wants more relaxation the entire trip -- stick with an island in the Pacific -- Palau/Fiji.

Also language - Philippines is English vs Bahasa Indonesian. Although Bali is so heavily touristed that this poses minimal issue.

I guess...how much of an adventure does one want? Is one serious about no interest in any land activities. Any history?
A trip to Indonesia could also visit Yogyakarta....great ruins there. As well as Bali cultural offerings.

Whales sharks? Reef sharks? Soft coral? Hard coral? Overall diversity (Raja Ampat). Snorkeling / diving with whales (Vanuatu, Tahiti)...
going where few divers go/know about (New Caledonia)

whoops...I see OP went to Palau already...oh well..maybe my post will be of use to someone else...

Raja Ampat, Raja Ampat ,Raja Ampat if you are interested in Marine biodiversity it is the best you can get but difficult and expensive to get to- truly a dream destination. Have been diving in Indonesia and the Philippines and Palau and overall Indonesia and the Philippines have more diversity than Palau but not the shark action as said above. Also recommend the Mike Ball liveaboards in Australia out of Townsville to the Great Barrier Reef.

I am waiting to hear of dependable internal traveling in Indonesia. That is one of the reasons I have not yet visited there although Scott has convinced me to join him next fall with the understanding that if I and all my gear end up in some prison camp my uncle Guido the killer pimp will pay him a visit. I have heard that to travel in Indonesia I need to plan a day or 2 for missed/changed connections. Hopefully that won't be the case next yr. At least Palau has decent connections. Just don't let them put you on the mail run (stops about 12 times from Guam).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom