Palau, Fiji or the Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judypots

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Divers,

My husband and I caught the diving bug 3 years ago and since then we've been on 2 dive trips per year and logged just about 100 dives. So far, all to the Caribbean - Bonaire (twice), Little Cayman, Cozumel, Turneffe Island (Belize), Saba - and once to Key Largo, FL. We're thinking of doing a major trip next year to either the Maldives, Palau or Fiji. We have 2-3 weeks to spend - more if we really want to. Our major interest is in the diving - we're not interested in partying on land. We like a bit of luxury. We haven't yet done a liveaboard, but would try one for a week. Any other info you might need to help with this question, let me know. I know that favorites are very personal, but any input it appreciated. Thanks!

Greetings judypots,

I too decided that a far Pacific trip was what I needed when I had only 100 dives logged. I chose Palau: two weeks back to back on the Palau Aggressor in 2007. I was (and still am after 5 yrs) only interested in the diving. Land interest = minor.

Originally I had signed up for one week. As my departure came closer, I realized that the airfare to dive trip $ ratio was out of balance, so I opted to stay on board for two weeks (and they had the space available.)

Palau diving was a whole new experience for me (very novice at the time), but it was nothing short of fantastic. A huge variety of dives: drift (new to me), big blue holes, shallow critter dives, fabulous night dives. Different types of diving, too numerous to explain. Jellyfish Lake was pretty spectacular - a once in a life time experience. I cannot begin to explain all of the different dives. Just know that ONE WEEK IS NOT ENOUGH.

Interestingly, three months later I did the Fiji Aggressor for one week. While Fiji too was a very beautiful diving experience, Palau has set the high bench mark for me. My plan is to return for another two week engagement in 2012. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Of your 3 choices I would go with Palau, great mix of diving. Some very good live-aboards and shore based options. BUT....if you are going that far have you considered Indonesia??? IMHO the best diving out there is Raja Ampat. Wakatobi has a nice option of a live-aboard combined with their shore operation, one we are trying to schedule for next year. Also PNG would make my list before the 3 you are considering. Trip reports, Multimedia shows for Palau, Fiji and Maldives, plus the mentioned alternatives at our site: www.aquabluedreams.com

Woops, just a Gallery up for the recent Maldives trip, working on Trip Report and Multimedia show.

Since they are all good choices I would go with the one that I got the best travel deal with.
By that I mean airfare etc.

My family has already decided that when we get our house paid off (in about 3 years) we are doing the Fiji Aggressor boat and then an additional on land week as a reward for being debt free.

Then - we won't be debt free ;-)

Haven't done the Maldives, but have done Palau and Fiji on liveaboards. If you are only interested in diving, liveaboards are the best way to do it. Great food and dive, dive dive. I second the suggestion to do 2 weeks. The Aggressor does 2 week tours and they go to the less dived northern reefs the first week.

We've been lots of places: all over the Caribbean, Hawaii and California, Tahiti and Bora Bora, and rate the South Pacific the best. Of the two, Palau is better diving. My wife said it best: "After Palau everything else will look like a desert."

Haven't done the Maldives, but have done Palau and Fiji on liveaboards. If you are only interested in diving, liveaboards are the best way to do it. Great food and dive, dive dive. I second the suggestion to do 2 weeks. The Aggressor does 2 week tours and they go to the less dived northern reefs the first week.

We've been lots of places: all over the Caribbean, Hawaii and California, Tahiti and Bora Bora, and rate the South Pacific the best. Of the two, Palau is better diving. My wife said it best: "After Palau everything else will look like a desert."

Not if you go to Komodo or Raja Ampat. Far better corals and fish action than Palau. Palau is still tops for sharks, and I love it, but Indonesia has some really outstanding diving.

If you are considering traveling as far as the Maldives, seriously consider Indonesia. A combined trip of Bali (great diving, culture, food, scenery) and Komodo LOB (some of the best diving anywhere) would be my first pick.
Or skip that and go on a two week LOB to possibly the most bio-diverse region on the planet: Raja Ampat

Here's my recent trip report:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...cities-fish-raja-ampat-march-6-17-2011-a.html

Last edited:
I've been to Fiji and Palau. I have known people who have been to the Maldives and a dive guide on LOB's (who is now a guide in Palau) they all agree Palau is better! If you are going to do Fiji do a LOB that goes to the Bligh waters which is great diving....But I gotta give Palau overall thumbs up!...maybe that is why I go every year!

I liked the diving in the Maldives better than Palau. I would recommend liveaboard in either place. But it's all good, really a matter of what you want to see (and sometimes how lucky you get.) If you don't have a strong preference there might be something to be said for choosing based on airfares, not to mention weather and availability when you want to go.

Thanks for all the good info. Now we're thinking either Palau or Indonesia. Isn't it sad to have such dilemnas?

Palau or Indonesia?...decisions...decisions.... so I go to each one every year!....Cannot beat Lembeh, Bangka, Raja Ampat or Palau!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom