Palantic regulators; anyone have one, tried one, or heard reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you plan on using this as a disposable regulator (use until it fails and then toss it) or as a long-term regulator? If long-term can you get it serviced in Australia? I only see this brand being sold by Amazon and on eBay by a company called Scuba-Choice.

Do you plan on using this as a disposable regulator (use until it fails and then toss it) or as a long-term regulator? If long-term can you get it serviced in Australia? I only see this brand being sold by Amazon and on eBay by a company called Scuba-Choice.

Use and fix till its totally buggered.
Doing the Scubapro reg course soon so it should be easy enough to service myself.

What is Palantic
Palantic is a product line under Scuba Choice that covers mostly spearfishing products. It is also an official trademark registered in USA. The name comes from Pacific and Atlantic Ocean.
It's their house brand probably sourced in the Far East at the same factory(ies) that make most of them. So there's probably some commonality of parts between them, maybe the Dive-rites/Dives Supply's house brand/Dive Gear Express/Piranha Dive's Pro series or others.

Just conjecture on my part..

It is not the skills of you or a technician I would be worried about but rather parts availability. Palantic is the house brand of Scuba-Choice, you would need to contact them for parts or try to source them yourself. I am not sure who the OEM is on these regulators. I could be wrong but they don't look like ODS regulators. Maybe they can use Trident parts or some other service kit.

moved to Regulators for a better response.

Use and fix till its totally buggered.
Two challenges, parts and failure at the wrong time.

Doing the Scubapro reg course soon so it should be easy enough to service myself.
They have some other regs on the Scuba Choice site some look very much like Subapro/Halcyon/Tusa Scuba Choice > Scuba Diving/ Spearfishing/ Snorkeling/Surfing Equipment & Gear Accessories : Scuba Diving Palantic AS103 DIN Adjustable Regulator & Octopus Combo and they are still well priced. I am tempted to get one just to see if it is a match to my MK25/S600 regs...

Two challenges, parts and failure at the wrong time.

They have some other regs on the Scuba Choice site some look very much like Subapro/Halcyon/Tusa Scuba Choice > Scuba Diving/ Spearfishing/ Snorkeling/Surfing Equipment & Gear Accessories : Scuba Diving Palantic AS103 DIN Adjustable Regulator & Octopus Combo and they are still well priced. I am tempted to get one just to see if it is a match to my MK25/S600 regs...

Same as anything IMHO.
I mean, they are not going to put out "crap" and risk being sued for millions, so they must be decent enough.

Thanks for the link.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2015 at 09:20 AM ----------

It is not the skills of you or a technician I would be worried about but rather parts availability. Palantic is the house brand of Scuba-Choice, you would need to contact them for parts or try to source them yourself. I am not sure who the OEM is on these regulators. I could be wrong but they don't look like ODS regulators. Maybe they can use Trident parts or some other service kit.

Yep already taken into consideration.
But did not know about Scubachoice, so will email them and see what is what.
Thanks.

@ Scuba7,

Did you go Palantic? If so, I'd be interested in what you think of the product. If you didn't, well I guess that your choice in life support equipment merits a manufacturer with a well earned reputation of service and high quality over several decades of producing for this industry. I trust my life to my equipment, I want parts availability, world-wide service (at least for where I dive) and a long track record of treating customers right.

There are old scuba divers, and bold scuba divers, there just aren't any old and bold scuba divers.

@ Scuba7,

Did you go Palantic? If so, I'd be interested in what you think of the product. If you didn't, well I guess that your choice in life support equipment merits a manufacturer with a well earned reputation of service and high quality over several decades of producing for this industry. I trust my life to my equipment, I want parts availability, world-wide service (at least for where I dive) and a long track record of treating customers right.

There are old scuba divers, and bold scuba divers, there just aren't any old and bold scuba divers.

Your post is silly.

First, there are old and bold scuba divers: Hal Watts, J.J., George Irvine, Richie Kohler, etc.

Second, companies don't just decide one day to make regulators, the investment is too great. They usually outsource the work to a company that has the manufacturing capacity and expertise. Halcyon just got into the regulator business and they outsource from Scubapro. Are their regulators bad? Speaking of Scubapro they purchase regulators from factories in Japan, the US, Italy, and who knows maybe the far east too. So the name really doesn't matter, what does is the OEM it comes from.

Third, worldwide parts and service is a myth. You are at the mercy of what the local dealer carries, period. You can live in an area where there is not dealer of a worldwide brand. When I lived in Central PA there was no local dealer for either Aqualung, Scubapro, or Oceanic. The local dealer only carried Sherwood and Dive Rite. As far as track record goes this means nothing. Manufacturers change their policies whenever it suits them. The trend is to reduce the warranty periods and provide less service not more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom