Painting your Fins - Anyone Ever Try This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does this explain all the hideous wetsuits in all the PADI videos??

Walter:
Why would one use an octopus rather than a better regulator?

A buddy line is a backup system, not a substitute for good technique. If folks are relying on fin color to not lose their buddies, they already need help with technique.

I am not a hunter, but am going to use it as a reference. When hunting one wears all camo to blend into the environment, then procedes to wear a bright orange cap. Why? So they can be seen by other hunters.

See some similarities? If you are wearing all black in low vis conditions and blending in, does it not make sense to wear something bright?

In theory a good hunter could hide himself from others and never get shot at (no political jokes needed :D ) so there would be no need to wear a bright cap. Seems that most do though. Oh the stories I have heard.

Good technique is something we should all strive for, and like most I am always learning and willing to learn. It just doesn't make sense though to "hide" when you can be clearly seen.

Peter_C:
If you are wearing all black in low vis conditions and blending in, does it not make sense to wear something bright?

unless you are trying to get away from your buddy!!

Walter:
If folks are relying on fin color to not lose their buddies, they already need help with technique.

Walter: I can only speak for myself, but 'relying' is definitely the wrong word. But when your suit is black, fins are black, wing is black, hood is black, gloves are black (except for some duct tape), adding some colour in PNW murky dark water, is really a good idea. In addition to good procedures and buddy skills, proper lights & backups, tank markers etc.

Bjorn

Peter_C:
I am not a hunter, but am going to use it as a reference. When hunting one wears all camo to blend into the environment, then procedes to wear a bright orange cap. Why? So they can be seen by other hunters.

See some similarities? If you are wearing all black in low vis conditions and blending in, does it not make sense to wear something bright?

In theory a good hunter could hide himself from others and never get shot at (no political jokes needed :D ) so there would be no need to wear a bright cap. Seems that most do though. Oh the stories I have heard.

Good technique is something we should all strive for, and like most I am always learning and willing to learn. It just doesn't make sense though to "hide" when you can be clearly seen.

No, I don't see any similarities. It makes no sense to wear camo when hunting. When hunting, you should wear all red or orange. You don't wear it so your buddy can see you, but so other hunters not in your group can see you. Deer are color blind, so there's no advantage to wearing camo.

Walter:
No, I don't see any similarities. It makes no sense to wear camo when hunting. When hunting, you should wear all red or orange. You don't wear it so your buddy can see you, but so other hunters not in your group can see you. Deer are color blind, so there's no advantage to wearing camo.

Twice this week I have been reading a post on SB only to think I'm on a hunting forum.... Why just a few days ago I replied to a Norte warning for Cozumel as a strong cold front crossed Texas heading south for Mexico, so I wrote,

"As the artic wind howls across Texas the only audible sounds are the calls of waterfowl as the mallards and snows wing south seeking refuge…The spirit of the President of the Old Duck Hunters Associations, Inc. speaks to us as the howl of the wind stirs our dreams….

Oops, wrong forum…"

And now that we are on the grand topic of waterfowling, I must point out that while Walter may have a point where redneck deer slaying with a rifle is concerned, any kindred spirit of the outdoors knows that while afield, proper attire for the duck blind is, and always has been, full camo...

:hijackedthread:

Blue Moon

I won't judge anyone because of the color of their gear, but I will judge you if I see you leaving behind a trail of environment-damaging paint flakes. I hardly ever climb onto the environment soap box, but swimming around with paint flaking off your fins is just ignorant. Sorry, that's just how I call this one, so flame away if you must.

-Ben

Blue Moon:
proper attire for the duck blind is, and always has been, full camo...

No red or orange head gear either, but all the hunters are shooting into the air.

You mean shooting into the air, just like Cheney?

I am sure we all agree an orange be seen color in most circumstances is a good thing. Especially when lost at sea. Ok so the yellow is supposed to be more visable.

You win Walter, there is no beating you. One question though...do you just like to argue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom