Painted my tanks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neat idea. If it’s anything like the rubberized stuff in a can that I put on my PVC tank rack recently...it won’t last long though.

I'm curious how it will do in the water. Worst case, I peel it and I'm back to steel. I've used it on all kinds of stuff over the years and it's held up to about everything I've thrown at it. Except gas. Gas eats through it in seconds, turns it all gummy. Derailing a bit but here's a couple other things I've done :)

20171210_151543.jpg
DSCN0171.JPG
DSCN0168.JPG

Hmm, Plastic Dip. Never thought of that. Let us know how it stays up.
How did you prepare the surface before?
I wiped the dust off with a damp rag and let it dry :) I've never gone for much surface prep on this stuff, it just seems to stick.

that looks awesome, i might peel off whats left of my paint and give this a go.

Any specific kind you've used?

[re "Why?"]

I was concerned it might be covered in ,er, "interesting" graphics.

Tank décor is rather "old school" dating back perhaps 30 to 40 years

Dotty Meister was the young widow of popular LA Co UW instructor Paul Meister and required a means of support for here established life style for her and her family ...

So around the 1980s she established a very viable company called "Tanks D'Art " She marketed all sorts of do it your self SCUBA tank decorating kits- from mild to wild

The company was very successful for rather long time then the dive industry grew weary or out grew the need for SCUBA tank décor .and Tanks D'Art faded into the dust of forgotten dive history

Now apparently Dottie's wild tank decorating is having a rebirth

So..." What is old is new again"

SDM

Were they painted before?
I guess the only real potential constant stress will be from the tank straps.
1 had remnants of being painted before, otherwise just old steel galvanized. There wasn't much paint left on the 1, and its still there. Im anticipating them getting a little buggered up, I'm going to go for a show winning finish :)
20190204_190056.jpg

that looks awesome, i might peel off whats left of my paint and give this a go.

Any specific kind you've used?
The color is plastidip 'blaze' colors over plastidip white. 2 coats of white to get a bright neutral base, then 2 coats of color. Let it sit for a couple days to harden up nicely, then some masking tape in random shapes followed by the black. Pull the tape before it's fully cured and then leave it alone. Except the white tank, which went base/tape shapes for 1st color, dry and then tape shapes for the black. It's pretty easy to work with and ends with a rubbery type feel when it's done. I've never had an issue with straps slipping, but if I did, this would help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom