Painted my tanks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
20190210_173927.jpg
New to me but old to the world!

Before anyone gets too upset... lds says they don't care if you paint them as long as it's rattle can and not baked on. And next vip they'll put the sticker in new place so i can paint the old.

Anyway, i used plasti dip. Its rubber so it won't chip or flake, and it peels off in about 30 seconds if i want it gone. I don't think anyone still mistake my tanks for theirs...

Plasti-dip for tanks.........I would never have thought of that??

Pretty cool looking.

Not baked, good.
Guessing no stripper? Some paint strippers can react with aluminum. So good.
Rattle can, probably not the most durable. I don't have issues with it, so long as it doesn't start shedding. That will depend a bit on the paint quality.
Plastidip could be a bit of an issue. Using it to fill in voids/gouges. But it looks thin enough in your application that you are not hiding anything. It also ages poorly. I have seen my fair share of cars that had plastidip treatments done to them and it aged poorly and doesn't peel off nicely after it is aged. When still fresh it might peel under the straps.

Overall I will give it a pass.

so cool

I really don't want to pooh pooh such a cool looking idea but..... If you later notice it coming off in little pieces with age I would go ahead and peel it off to keep it out of the food chain.

Neat idea. If it’s anything like the rubberized stuff in a can that I put on my PVC tank rack recently...it won’t last long though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom