Paint tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok

I have a question about painting the PVC pipe.

I have a DIY job done and painted it with a black spray paint from Wally World. As you know, PVC pipe is glossy white, but the black paint doesn’t last long in UW. The paint is peeling off a PVC pipe already.:huh:

So, what should I do? I don’t think that another layer of the paint is an ultimate solution

Please let me have your insights.

Thanks in advance,

Paint newbie.

use what computer modders use to paint there CD/DVD drives to match the case ... vinyl dye paint, like for automotive , or use a plastic primer first

I have not used the product but there is a fairly recently developed paint designed to stick to plastic. It is called Fusion as I recall. Maybe someone has used it and can say how it works.

Fusions is a spray paint designed to bond with plastics. Read the instructions pertaining to cleaning carefully. Another option is to use a bonding primer first. Bear in mind that most paints aren't really intended for immersion service. Those that are can be quite pricey.

Try using Triple 0 steel wool or very fine sandpaper to lightly scuff the surface of the pvc to remove the gloss. This will help w/paint adhesion.

What you want is a Marine Grade paint designed for immersion.

I can not help you with what that is, but I'm VERY positive Google can help. :D

If you don't like Google, try calling your local marina.

Krylon Fusion paints bond with plastic. Painted a four wheeler as well as my dive light canister. Hasn't chipped or come off yet.

Yep, use the Fusion paint. Also PVC sometimes has a slick coating. I turned mine on a lathe (or use wet/dry sandpaper to rough it up a bit.) I have not had problems with paint coming off using the above method.

Thanks...

Yes, but I like a glossy coating (smooth touch feeling) on PVC. Is there anyway I can keep this feeling. It is for a goodman handle...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom