Paint remover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

washow88

Reaction score
I have clear-coated aluminum tanks.
The clear coat started to peal and I want to strip them with a paint remover to bring them to natural aluminum.
I am told that some paint removers may harm the tanks.
Does anyone know what paint remover won’t harm the tanks?

Hi,

I just called the manufacturer and unfortunately Klean Strip is not available anywhere in Canada.

Home Depot here sells paint strippers that are aluminum safe. I still have to drop by and check the labels just to be sure but I wonder if they would be just as safe.

Anything I should watch out for in the label?

Thanks.

I had a hard time finding it too, but I do not know the answer for your question.

I do not want to start this, but my LDS is giving me a hard time to replace the inspection sticker. You may want to check with them first.
They did both inspections last month and they recommended to me to strip the tanks.
When I stripped the tanks, I covered the sticker just to keep the stripper away from it.
I took the tanks to the dive shop asking them to issue a new sticker and move the old one so I can strip the old sticker area
They told me that they have to do the visual inspection again in order to move the sticker and they refuse to fill the tank.
They did the hydro and the visual inspection less than 35 days ago, and they certified them. Now they want to charge me for the visual inspection again.

That's a shame. While I think they're being conservative, it appears more like trying to make a fast buck when they go to that extreme.

Thanks.

Anyone heard of Circa 1850 Furniture Stripper or Circa 1850 Heavy Body Paint & Varnish Remover?

I contacted the manufacturer www.swingpaints.com via their forum and they say its safe because it does not contain any caustic or harsh chemicals that could damage the tank. (as stated in the label)

Comments anyone?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom