Paid baggage fees on Lion Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm preparing for a trip to Raja Ampat.

Looks like I'll be going Lion Air from Jakarta to Sorong. Not sure of onboard luggage limits. Merpati shows 5 kgs and a fee of 1 percent of ticket. which isn't really that much.

Anyone know what the weight limit is?

What is the fee?

How much this is enforced? Could I expect to bring 20 lbs (housing and regs) or will they demand to check it so maybe just go with the housing and, gasp, check the regs?

Thanks

Shasta,
I realize this doesn't answer your question but maybe you could still find this information useful. We just returned from our Indonesian trip and we flew Garuda Airlines from Denpasar to Manado. Garuda allowed 20 kilo per person of "checked" baggage and the reservation was under my name for 4 passengers. Thus, 4 *20 = 80 kilo allowance. Our actual "checked" baggage weight was 120 kilos so we exceeded the allowance by 40 kilo. Monetarily, this overage cost us 30,000 IDR per kilo. Therefore, 30,000 IDR *40 KG = 1,200,000 IDR + 120,000 (tax) = 1,320,000 IDR (total).

Additionally, our dive computers, regulators, and cameras were "carry on" luggage and this weight "wasnt" included in the above calculation. (each of us used a reg bag or a small duffle as carry on).

For what its worth.

Hope you have a great trip!

I know the flight from Manado to Sorong on Lion is 15kg and yes they have tried to charged me up $100 overage fees usually pay around $40 or $50. Now if you go thru Makassar that is usually on a 737 and that have let it slide....have I ever said how much I dislike Lion Air?...In SoWrong going to Manado they have even made me take off my backpack and weigh it.

Lion not too expensive for overweight, i am consistently over and i pay between 40 and 80 dollars, no receipts handy at the moment. You can also try to bargain the price down with the person behind the desk before u go to the cashier :) for carry on, they have never bothered me, i always hand carry my phenom housing and put it under the seat, it weighs 30+ pounds

Thanks all for the responses.

For those prices, cost wasn't a big concern, but "you have to check it" was! Since my housing is half of a Phenom, the regs probably get to ride with me.

Ah, but i dont put the phenom in a bag... Afterall, a camera is one personal item :) when it comes down to it, remember: regs you can rent, good cameras you cant

Based on my experience with Express Air and then Lion air in May, I'd say avoid rigid carry-on bags - especially the ones that everyone uses nowadays for carry-on. They're fine for 737s and the like, because they will fit in the overhead bins, but not for prop planes. One look at it, and they will say check it. They're much more lenient on soft duffles, mesh bags or backpacks - stuff that looks like they can be compressed or squished into place.

Thanks all.

I just use a soft camera backpack, not a big one. The housing fits no problem and the regs can coil up in the outer section. It's only the weight that's the problem.

Your experience may vary, but when we were there, they didn't weigh our carry-ons. But they were a pain with our checked luggage.

Back
Top Bottom