PADI's dive depth standards - Vague?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a PADI DM and I know PADI does not have a full face mask course, but I dive using a full face mask because I feel it is more comfortable and possably safer than a standard regulator and SCUBA mask. If you know how to use something, or you get training on it without going to a LDS or national agency instructor, then by all means use the tools you know. PADI just offeres classes on equipment and techniques that are not main stream SCUBA so that anyone can learn about them. Knowledge just make for safer divers reguardless of you certification level.

I believe specialty certifications like photography are meant to be learning experiences, and the certifications, little more than "badges" to give you something for your efforts, or they can be specialties counting toward the master scuba diver rating. Of course, there are no scuba police for depth, wreck or anything else. Some classes mean something toward moving up in the PADI system, others are simply courses meant to advance your knowledge.

Here's the thing though...

In FL - the bottom is pretty much hard bottom, and the depth of the dive can be easily controlled, and limited to XX FSW by the boat captain, and his/her depth finder. If the bottom is at 60 FSW, the divers would be hard pressed to find 120 FSW.

In California, where the depths drop off quickly... you can do a shore entry or from a boat, and be at 120 FSW in a matter of minutes in some places. There is no authority. It's merely a formality, and a ridiculous one at that. People should be responsible for themselves, and they should dive within their own personal limits.

howarde:
This sounds like a job for the SCUBA police.
siren.gif
siren.gif
siren.gif
siren.gif
siren.gif

I'm here to issue spankin's. Who needs 'em?! :D

As I posted in the other thread about this, the issue isn't one of there being a Scuba police as there being Dive Ops that enforce the 60' limit for divers without the AOW certification.

There are no scuba police. (Except maybe SparticleBrane) There are only the people the with the keys to the boat. :D

I don't think they are vague. OTOH, they are not standards either. They are recommendations. Standards only apply to classes.

PADI is not alone in outlining recommendations on depth, other agencies do it as well. The recommendations on depth with regard to certification level are silly as there is nothing about the AOW class (and not just PADI's) that actually qualifies anyone to dive deeper than 60 ft.

I do know that in the Maldives, it is illegal to dive below 60 ft without an AOW card. With an AOW card you may dive to 100 ft. You are also fined $300 if you touch the reef. If you don't have a log book, you are limited to 30 ft and must stay with the DM. These rules are enforced pretty well by the resort I was on.

I have been asked for the drysuit card when renting a drysuit. Never been asked when using it.

gangrel441:
The course that was taken. PADI Scuba Diver is a less involved course which only certifies the diver to a hard limit of 40' and restricts the diver to having to dive with a professional (DM, Instructor, et al.).

An OW Diver is one who has completed the OW course and is certified to dive with other certified divers and has a recommended depth limit of 60 ft.

Wow. That's possibly the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. PADI didn't have enough classes to squeeze money out of people so they made up a "pseudo-diver" course? :shakehead

DawgDiver:
Wow. That's possibly the dumbest thing i've ever heard of. PADI didn't have enough classes to squeeze money out of people so they made up a "pseudo-diver" course? :shakehead

Same criticisms pointed at PADI can also be noted for SSI.

PADI allows snorkel and swim, so does SSI.

PADI has "pseudo-diver" course, so does SSI.

Quote of their Passport diver program:

Are you planning a vacation and want to dive at your destination? With SSI's Passport Diver Program, you can earn a passport to adventure and dive on colorful, shallow-water reefs under the direct supervision of a dive leader.

The Passport Diver Program takes dive training to a new level of convenience and accessibility for first-time divers by focusing on just the knowledge and skills required to dive proficiently under the direct supervision of a dive leader. And your Passport will continue to be recognized by any participating Passport facility as long as you log at least one dive every six months.

If you completed the Try Scuba program in the previous 14 days, you will receive credit for your academic session and Pool/Confined Water Session 1 and Open Water Session 1. Those who complete the Passport Diver Program can apply their academic sessions, pool/confined water sessions and open water sessions to Open Water Diver certification.

Fish_Whisperer:
What's the difference between a Scuba Diver, (limited to 40') and an OW Diver? *scratching my head*

SCUBA Diver Requirements
First 3 sections of OWD manual including Quizes and Knowledge reviews.
first 3 confined water dives
10 minute swim/float
Open water dives 1 and 2
Snorkel and Regulator Exchange
Tired Diver Tow and Cramp Removal

I think to finish you can just finish the course. So not a Full priced course for either. maybe a good way to start on Vacation to get in the water then finish off later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom