PADI vs SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard that the biggest difference is that one of them (I don't remember which), allows you to be an independent instructor and the other requires you to be affiliated with a dive shop. If you are independent you could hang a "Scuba Training" sign in front of your home. (not that you would want to).

Instructor matters more than the cert authority.

Yes, this is true, both for quality of instruction as well as your enjoyment of the class and diving.

CMAS is the One True Agency, and the VDST are it's Prophets!! :wink:

Gerbs

The theme here seems to be that for basic OW is pretty consistant between agencies, or that is how I read it. But there does seem to be a rather intense rivalry between agencies, for some people. I recently reconnected with a high school friend by way of Facebook. I mentioned that my son was taking his OW class with PADI, and I thought the guy was gonna have a stroke! He seemed to think my son would never live to see his next birthday, because he was going with PADI. I made it clear that I certed with them 15 years ago, and lived to tell the tale. I know nothing about the other agencies, therefore would not begin to speak ill of them. But I am curious: what are the differences, if any, between the major certification agencies.

With the SSI vs PADI thing, the main difference I am aware of is the choice of wether you want to practice how to make an emergency ascent in an out of air situation or wether you want to practice surfacing with an unconscious buddy.

I'd prefer if both were included on both sides, but I'd probably side with PADI on this one - self-help focus on entry level.

That said, the differences are as far as I am aware, minimal. Go pick the dive shop / instructor you're most comfortable with.

I was certified Padi, many years ago. Daughter was certified SSI only a few years ago. Looking at her manual the info is consistant but her dive tables are more conservative. It does really all boil down to the instructor. IMO an instructor who also teaches cavern will probably stress being streamlined and trimmed with an emphesis on good buancy vs. a strickly openwater instructor who may figure youll get those skills worked out yourself later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom