PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This has happened before, it will happen again.

NetDoc owns SB.

PADI advertises on SB. Presumably it is not for free.

At times of active disagreement (where NetDoc was anti-anti-PADI) I have not noted any PADI advertisements on SB.

In reviewing this post, I feel that I am becoming more like knowone.

NetDoc owns SB.

At times of active disagreement (where NetDoc was anti-anti-PADI) I have not noted any PADI advertisements on SB.

While I disagree with Pete on this topic and with respect to his strawman based debating style, I feel that this implication takes a step over a line that I have known Pete to draw. He has strong views and strange ways, at times, but he is also as honest as the day is long and does not sell out.

For example, far more people engage in recreational diving than engage in race-car driving.

That would depend on where your from and whether or not you include all forms of racing. Total racing (with a car of sort) hours of all racing forms would most likley beat out the local scuba clubs total hours of diving. I would even go to the extent of saying that there maybe as many man hours behind the wheel of a care driving in some racing fashion(drift, drag, indy, stock, etc.) as there is total combined scuba hours worldwide.

NetDoc owns SB.

Wow... I have never been "anti-PADI", much less "anti-anti-PADI". In fact I went through Divemaster with PADI. While I found that my training was lacking for this, it was the instructor's fault and not the agency. There was a fluff between a good friend of mine and PADI... you can bet that I stood by my friend, and I would do that again today. I don't feel that anyone or any agency is perfect, including me.

As for becoming more like Knowone... how unfortunate.

Thanks to Thal for backing me on this.

Last edited:
Thal: I have no idea where you got the impression that I lack confidence or that I am worried while I dive. While I recognize that more training is always good, I am confident in my ability to do the kind of diving I enjoy with relative safety (there is no 100% safety, as we've agreed). I do not dive if I'm worried about something. I've never done anything I believed to be truly dangerous, though I have done things that scared me. Diving, however, is not one of them. I recognize my limitations, and I dive within them. I have no interest in tech diving, wreck penetration, overhead environments, or mixed gasses other than enriched air nitrox. I have no interest in deep diving. By the same token I enjoy driving my 3-wheeled electric car but I have no interest driving in stock car races. So I've never taken stock-car driving lessons. I enjoy diving, which I do once or twice a year for a week or ten days at a time. I also enjoy freediving, which I also do once or twice a year for a week or two at a time. (I don't mix the two.) I also enjoy hiking in the mountains, which probably poses more actual risk than the kind of diving I do, though there, too, I know my limits and stay within them, turning back if the conditions exceed my limits.

Regardless of your training level, everyone has limits in diving. Understanding those limits and diving within them is an important component of safety, whether you've had a 100-hour course or a 6-hour course. I feel that my PADI course, with a good and patient instructor, has given me the skills and capability that my time under water is as safe as my time on the boat, and safer than the travel to get to the dive site. Could I safely dive in a cave? No. Am I trained in trimix? No. Could I, like that guy in the old tv program Sea Hunt, fight off a school of sharks while tangled in a fishing net and being shot at with spear guns by three bad guys? No. But I don't want to do any of the former, and I do not expect the latter. I do not claim to be an expert diver, but I do not make dives that require expertise. I am comfortable in the water and I enjoy diving, both with and without scuba gear. Should I refrain from diving because bad guys MIGHT attack me? Or take a course in underwater jujitsu before I go diving again?

When you say that I enter the water worried or without confidence, you mischaracterize me.

I cannot speak to the thread title, because I know nothing of NAUI other than hearsay about what their training was like 30 or 40 years ago, and all I know of PADI is my own course, with an excellent and patient instructor, and which I feel prepared me to dive at a level of safety which exceeds that of driving my car to the airport. (Not the electric car. That one does not go on the freeway. I drive the "stinker" to the airport.)

This, in my opinion is adequate. Would a 100-hour course be better? Certainly. But given that I do not have the opportunity for that, I am happy and comfortable with the training I have. And I know enough never to be complacent under water. (Or behind the wheel of a car, for that matter!) But there's a big difference between being worried, and being aware that the inherent risks of an activity require constant vigilance.

NetDoc owns SB.

You got some kind of conspiracy theory going on here? Well just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you... Boo Ha Ha.

daniel1948

You said "far more people engage in recreational diving than engage in race-car driving." You been asked 3x now to back up this claim. I dont believe you can. Your just making up stuff now hoping someone will believe your nonsense...

Talk about :gans:
I never suggested that training should or could answer all questions (to attempt to do so is as foolish as trying to stop the tide. What I suggested was Daniel's question concerning his own capabilities and whether they were sufficient for him to keep diving would have been answered if his training was more complete. The mere fact that he has such worries is proof positive that something in his training was lacking.
:gans:

This is a valid question EVEN AFTER a 100 hour course. You can't train out trepidation.

No one is belittling anyone, except perhaps you attempting to belittle me, and I really don't mind, I can afford to absorb your disdain without injury.
Oh Thal, I am not belittling you, but I am having fun here, no question. You inspired the whole concept of you being paranoid when you recited your credentials yet once more. Personally, I think it explains a lot about your feelings towards training.

There is no need to wonder, when DEMA engaged several of us to experiment with short course formats they were quite clear as to why they wanted the longer courses replaced with shorter ones, to produce more customers.
Why didn't you have enough customers? It appears that some thought your course to be onerous.

Perhaps that was for your own good, you might not have been ready.
So, the class is designed to discourage people from getting certified? I can testify that it works!!! Now, since not getting certified did not keep me out of the water, do you contend that diving so long without any certification at all was good for me as well? I made my first dive in Lake Underhill in Orlando and was certified almost 30 years later. Thank goodness I put off my certification until I was finally ready. I might have gotten hurt (or worse) if I had been certified before I was ready! :D :D :D
I tend to use the dictionary definition:
on·er·ous/ˈōnərəs/Adjective
1. (of a task, duty, or responsibility) Involving a burdensome amount of effort and difficulty.
2. Involving heavy obligations.

I suppose that the sort of training I conducted might be found to be burdensome by you, it was never considered burdensome by any who actually took it though. l Like most things in life, you get what you put into it and it sounds like you cheated yourself, too bad.
"By any who actually took it". That says a lot. Apparently, that wasn't that many according to you. It appears that it was onerous to most of America, else they would have flocked to your class. As it is, divers vote with their fins and take the class that best suits them. Nothing wrong with that.

Paranoia
Definition
Paranoia is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust of others, sometimes reaching delusional proportions. Paranoid individuals constantly suspect the motives of those around them, and believe that certain individuals, or people in general, are "out to get them."

Nope, doesn't work.
You're kidding, right? The more I think about it, the more I see your paranoia towards the training agencies. Some paranoia is good. Heck, when it comes to DEMA, I am quite paranoid!

There you make an assumption without any information of data.
Actually, I get that from how you depict the boogiemen at DEMA trying to make courses shorter. My feeling from reading some of the literature of the time is that they were trying to make Scuba Diving FUN and available to the masses. Yes, I know that YOU were there, but I don't agree with your analysis of the situation.
If you just want to have fun, according to your analysis, you should just go dive.
Which is what I did in 1969.
Training, of any sort, is (after all) onerous and not fun.
Where did I suggest this? Humor me and quote that part for me. I actually ceased all diving when I almost killed myself. I was in a situation where I would never have been if I had a "minimum level of training".

I maintain that there is a minimum level of training that is necessary for someone with an honest appraisal of their skills to be able to enjoy diving as a potentially life long pursuit and that falls somewhere between sixty and 120 hours of training with ten or more dives. Now you can quibble about the exact number and have a difference of opinion with someone else without, perhaps, suggesting that what the do does not fun as an integral part of it.
You know, I'm going to agree with you here. I just disagree with your MO. In fact, I don't think you're ready with that small amount of training... I just feel that the agency method of dividing it up into smaller tid bits is a good way to do it. OW>AOW>Rescue>Specialties>Master Diver is a great way to do this over time. If, at any point, you are comfortable with your skill set, then just stop. It's up to you how far and how quickly you progress. Putting this into ONE CLASS is onerous and seems insurmountable to most. It's why they re-invented your wheel (much to your chagrin).

You neither know what my program was like, nor have you talked about to anyone who does. A graduate of my program StevePaulet is on this board on occasion and Burhan is very familiar with it, ask them if there was sufficient fun or if was over the top for someone who knew how to swim.
It doesn't matter, Thal. The public opinion is what really counts here. Either your class had a bad rep or you didn't market it very well. In any case, people saw a need for change and an opportunity to get more people diving. As you said, they are drawing from a different set, so all is good.
When you have no data, then anything fits. Please reference your data.
It's all anecdotal and works for me.
I think that the courses promulgated by most of the agencies fail to meet some critical criteria that I described earlier.
You don't teach them so they are... crap?
Mine is not the only acceptable way, I have never said that. My way in an end point that assures Competent performance from all participants, others have different approaches that reach the same target, from what I can tell, yours does not, and that is not a concern for you.
Earlier you suggested that I had not seen your course nor had I talked to anyone about it. The same is true for you here. You are making an assumption and a fallacious one at that.

Here's a great example of how one diver came out of a short course raring to go, confident and well prepared:
Was this the instructor or the agency's fault? According to the OP, it was obviously the instructor's fault. Unfortunately, the economics of instruction are still pretty skewed. Shops of yore under valued it to get bodies in the door to buy gear. With the advent of the Internet, that paradigm is useless and shops are still trying to figure it out.

Now that took guts to write, thanks for sharing cookenup.
Yes it did... it was a horrible experience.

My point being, I have never heard of such a thing occurring in a 100 hr course, anywhere.
You really didn't have this kind of open communication when you were actively teaching my friend. The information age tends to bring a lot more issues to light than ever before. That's a good thing.

We make sure that every diver is well prepared, to have fun ... or do whatever it is that they want to do.
Good for you! I do precisely the same thing in a shorter amount of time. Call me Mr Efficiency. :D

daniel1948

You said "far more people engage in recreational diving than engage in race-car driving." You been asked 3x now to back up this claim. I dont believe you can. Your just making up stuff now hoping someone will believe your nonsense...
Okay. No. I don't have data. I was expressing an opinion. And in the absence of contrary data, I continue to believe it, given the ease and calmness of diving compared to the difficulty of race-car driving with its demand for lightning-fast reflexes.

And on another topic, perhaps Thalassamania misunderstood my rhetorical question, when I asked "Should I quit diving" since I've not had 100 hours of training or the ability to dive to the bottom of a 30-foot pool and assemble scuba gear from scratch. My point, which I thought I made clear, was that he seemed to be suggesting that I am incompetent to dive safely because all I've had was a PADI OW course, whereas I feel that course prepared me to do the kind of diving I want to do.

My point, which I thought I made clear, was that he seemed to be suggesting that I am incompetent to dive safely because all I've had was a PADI OW course, whereas I feel that course prepared me to do the kind of diving I want to do.
Keep diving, dude. Don't let the people who question your training decisions deter you. Be sure to dive within your experience and cert levels, but please; keep diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom