PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep diving, dude. Don't let the people who question your training decisions deter you. Be sure to dive within your experience and cert levels, but please; keep diving!
Precisely my intention!

"By any who actually took it". That says a lot. Apparently, that wasn't that many according to you. It appears that it was onerous to most of America, else they would have flocked to your class. As it is, divers vote with their fins and take the class that best suits them. Nothing wrong with that.
At the OW level, I doubt most aspiring divers do much to differentiate between classes beyond determining what is convenient and what is cheap. Of course, cheap and convenient suits just about everybody, all other things being equal. But the aspiring diver has little incentive to even investigate those other things, because they are probably ignorant of their import or even of their existence. So what suits them in the short run may be sub-optimal in the long run. Kind of like eating at McDonalds.

So what suits them in the short run may be sub-optimal in the long run. Kind of like eating at McDonalds.
Personally, I don't see how getting them in the water on Scuba under any program can be sub-optimal. I get the idea that a lot of you think the oceans are too crowded and you want to keep the riff raff out. I know that I don't feel that way at all. I am excited for others to discover Scuba and the wonders underneath the surface of the ocean. I want remove barriers: not construct them.

Personally, I don't see how getting them in the water on Scuba under any program can be sub-optimal. I get the idea that a lot of you think the oceans are too crowded and you want to keep the riff raff out. I know that I don't feel that way at all. I am excited for others to discover Scuba and the wonders underneath the surface of the ocean. I want remove barriers: not construct them.

I havent heard anyone in this thread say anything about the oceans are to crowded except you just now... As far as keeping the riff raff out as you put it, yes absolutely. Although im sure your version of R-R and my version of R-R are different... Removing barriers would be very unwise at this point given the current training standards or lack their of. Which you have already stated you disagree with so no need to repeat yourself again.

As far as keeping the riff raff out as you put it, yes absolutely.
Wow. What will you do when someone deems you to be riff raff? Think about it. Who would get to decide this? This devolves more into that "if I don't sell/teach/dive it, it must be crap" mentality. Personally, I want the entire world to see Scuba as accessible. The man on the street thinks it takes a lot of time and money to learn to Scuba and that's just not true. It's a wonderful hobby and I want everyone to at least try it.

Wow. What will you do when someone deems you to be riff raff?

Are kidding me? Ive been called worse then that here on the board. If I am deemed to be riff raff so be it, I will just move my cult following elsewhere LOL...

Think about it. Who would get to decide this?

The diving community has already set standards and have playbooks located at everydive site around the world... There is no escaping judgment.

This devolves more into that "if I don't sell/teach/dive it, it must be crap" mentality.

Given what I run into out on the water, there is little proof to show otherwise. Though I would say We not I. Not we as in NAUI but we as the group of instructors I choose to associate myself with or vice-versa.

Personally, I want the entire world to see Scuba as accessible. The man on the street thinks it takes a lot of time and money to learn to Scuba and that's just not true. It's a wonderful hobby and I want everyone to at least try it.

There it is, the big differnce. My sport, My life. They main difference I see in the diving community is my sport or my hobby. My sport guy opts for more better training, my hobby guy opts for less and cheaper. Have fun with your hobby, I will continue to enjoy my sport and life. To each his own.

They main difference I see in the diving community is my sport or my hobby.
Yeah, I don't see that dichotomy at all. I do see what I see in every sport: egos that assume the worst about others who do not agree with them. Fortunately for most, ego is not positively buoyant! Can you imagine the lead you or I would need to sink all of that? :rofl3:

Um... so this PARTICULAR thread/debate on naui vs padi started 8 YEARS AGO?!?! I wonder of the OP ever came to a decision.

BTW, I have a hard time calling diving a sport. I run marathons, ultra marathons, and triathlons (run, bike, swim) and those I call sports as well as hobbies. Sport and hobby don't have to be mutually exclusive however not all hobbies are really sports. SCUBA Diving, while requiring skill, and some organization and commitment lacks any sort of actual competition outside of people's heads, winners chosen in an OBJECTIVE manner, and as far as athleticism goes... well there are probably a few hundred threads here on the board about the general physical fitness of your average diver. I did say I have a HARD time, not that I wouldn't at all given what we call sports now-a-days.

Good point maybe we should make a new thread with:
Is scuba a Sport or Hobby.

I'm pretty sure it'll run for a while, if not 8 years.

BTW, I'm certified CMAS, so both NAUI and PADI are bad. :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom