PADI Surf entrance specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrat:
Shaka - sorry, not a surfer here - what's a waveski? Oh yeah, glad you're OK! I would miss your posts.

I just added pics to my post, check it out..........

Ooooooh.... so THAT'S a waveski! I was wondering what the heck those were - waveyaks or something, lol. And I love that picture of you guys shore diving! It's my favorite picture of all time!

ShakaZulu:
Now, there was one time we dived in conditions like these.

That's hard core :wink: Glad to hear that you and waveski are OK. Great surf entry pic.

Some more info on the surfer that drowned the other day ... speculation is that the cause may have been medically related.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20051223-1532-bn24surfer2.html

On a positive note, according to the Laguna Sea Sports site, looks like Laguna Beaches were reopened to diving today. Bad news is that conditions are pretty poor ... 4-6 ft surge and vis at Shaws.

Things look like they will stay a little sloppy this week. The WNW XMAS storm continues to fill in and peak today ... dropped a small amount of overnight precipitation too. On a positive note, the bigger system for the 28th/29th looks like it will have a pretty sharp NW angle ... so, we'll benefit from some significant shadowing here in OC. Looks like yet another healthy system is possible after the New Year. Here's an excerpt from the Surfline forecast:

OUTLOOK: The new WNW swell peaks Monday for another round of fairly solid surf. More, strong NW swell is due for the middle to second half of the week.

SHORT RANGE

Our new WNW swell (280-300) will fill in further and peak on Monday. A couple of things to keep in mind about this swell: First, it is not nearly as westerly as the swell this past Wednesday so won’t show nearly as much energy at some of the out of the way places. That being said look for the better winter breaks of San Diego, Ventura, parts of the South Bay and select spots of Orange County to see the surf build into the head high range on Monday. Good spots in those regions see sets running a couple feet+ overhead and standout spots of South San Diego, Southern Ventura and select other areas see sets running several feet overhead and bigger at times.

Look for gradually fading surf on Tuesday but the better exposed breaks still see easy shoulder to head high+ waves, while standouts are in the overhead to well overhead range.

Conditions: A passing front to the north on Monday will set up at least slightly breezier onshore flow. Morning winds look generally light, with afternoon W/NW winds building 8-12 knots+. For Tuesday/Wednesday we’ll fall back into the light morning winds followed by onshore W/NW flow at 6-10 knots in the afternoons.

LONG RANGE

NPAC: Things look very promising pretty much through the end of the year. A strong, very long period NW swell (290-300) shows Wednesday into Thursday the 28th-29th , with reinforcing NW swell likely holding solid waves into Friday 30th , before gradually backing down over the New Year’s weekend. Although a lot of spots will pick up only partial energy due to the somewhat extreme angle of the swell, good winter breaks will be well overhead and standouts push back into the double overhead range. Even further out it looks like a smaller, but still healthy, NW swell is possible from the 1st-3rd. These storms still have further development, so stay tuned for further updates.

Picture from laguna I took this weekend. I wish there was a diver in the foreground to compare, but I couldn't convince any volunteers. The surf has been a bit harsh lately though much better today and pretty unfriendly to divers.

Oh I should add the dive report from our one locally "insane" diver with like 15,000 dives to his name:

Date: 12/26/2005
Time: 12:00 Noon Yellow Flag
Surf: Beaches Closed
Surge: 4 ft to 6 ft
Visibility: 2 ft to 6 ft
Temperature: Air 62 Water 57

Back
Top Bottom