PADI Surf entrance specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cowa Bunga! Surf's up... so much for diving the next couple of days. Sounds like we will have Laguna North Shore.

Severe Weather advisor this AM reads:
SURF WILL BUILD SIGNIFICANTLY TODAY. BY THIS AFTERNOON SURF
HEIGHTS BETWEEN 9 TO 13 FEET WITH SETS TO 15 FEET ARE POSSIBLE.
THE COMBINED EFFECT OF SURF RUN UP AND HIGH TIDES COULD CAUSE
SIGNIFICANT BEACH EROSION AND COASTAL FLOODING. LARGE BREAKING
WAVES WILL IMPACT THE ENTRANCES TO HARBORS AND BAYS.

MARINERS ENTERING AND EXITING MARINAS...BAYS OR HARBORS MAY
ENCOUNTER BREAKING WAVES AT THE ENTRANCES WHICH MAY HINDER OR
PRECLUDE SAFE PASSAGE.

ANYONE OBSERVING THE WAVES FROM THE NEAR SHORE ON ROCKS OR OTHER
STRUCTURES...SHOULD BE VERY CAUTIOUS OR MOVE BACK AS LARGE WAVES
CAN WASH OVER PREVIOUSLY DRY AREAS AND TAKE YOU INTO THE OCEAN.

A HIGH SURF ADVISORY MEANS THAT HIGH SURF WILL AFFECT BEACHES IN
THE ADVISORY AREA...PRODUCING STRONG RIP CURRENTS AND LOCALIZED
BEACH EROSION.

THE SURF WILL BEGIN TO SUBSIDE LATE THURSDAY.

Until I checked out the link, I thought perhaps there WAS an actual surf entry specialty now.......but just think of the chaos when, "surf entry certified" divers, having begun their return to the beach, belatedly realize that they don't have the Surf EXIT specialty, and are refused return to the beach, and left to float helplessly out to sea, ending up on some far-off coastline. :)

Aw you SoCal folks have it good with your nice conditions. Here's what my local water look like today:

.TODAY...S WIND 25 TO 35 KT...LOCAL GUSTS UP TO 45 KT NEAR CAPE
MENDOCINO. WIND WAVES 7 TO 9 FT. SW SWELL 18 TO 20 FT AT 14
SECONDS. RAIN AND ISOLATED TSTMS.

It's rained 1.4 inches so far today and hasn't stopped. Super windy.

And the water is teeming with sharks! It's a good time to be a diver in Humboldt :wink:

Iruka:
Until I checked out the link, I thought perhaps there WAS an actual surf entry specialty now.......but just think of the chaos when, "surf entry certified" divers, having begun their return to the beach, belatedly realize that they don't have the Surf EXIT specialty, and are refused return to the beach, and left to float helplessly out to sea, ending up on some far-off coastline. :)

All chaos will break loose when they are about to be picked up by the Coast Guard and they realize that they don't have the "Getting Rescued Specialty."

3 friends went today (not for diving) 8-10 feet overhead. The real problem is the break is very quick with extreme frequency. Some of the regional cams for surfing will show how fast these babies are rolling in. Fortunately it peaks today and may calm by the weekend. Local dive websites like www.lagunaseasports.com indicate closed to divers. I'm going down today to take some photos :)

I surfed Uppers at the crack of dawn this morning. The swell was just starting to show but started to fill in quickly with the tide push. By around 8:30AM we were pulling in some solid overhead sets (8-9+ ft). Further south, Swami's and Black's were getting double - triple overhead + sets. Check out the pics on SD Tribune site: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20051221-1316-bn21wave4.html

I drove through Laguna on the way into work. It was much smaller (due to eposure and shadowing from Island). However, some decent swell was getting in. By 10 AM, South Laguna was getting some solid head high+ shore pound. Heisler Park had about a dozen surfers sitting off the big rocks to the south picking off some shoulder-head high waves … occasionally, there were some waves that were breaking on the far outside reefs. The coves to the north (Diver’s, Fisherman’s, Shaw’s) looked more protected. However, there was still some 3-4 ft shore break sneaking in. Looked like there was lots of surge mixing up the bottom. As of 2 PM, Laguna Beaches were closed.

The swell forecast models show two more large systems in the North Pacific. The next one should reach us around XMAS ... the one after that around mid next week. Looks like it things will be interesting through New Year's.

riguerin:
I surfed Uppers at the crack of dawn this morning. The swell was just starting to show but started to fill in quickly with the tide push. By around 8:30AM we were pulling in some solid overhead sets (8-9+ ft). Further south, Swami's and Black's were getting double - triple overhead + sets. Check out the pics on SD Tribune site: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20051221-1316-bn21wave4.html
Cool article!

There was a time when I thought that kind of surf was fun. Now I think it's nuts to go out in stuff like that. It takes longer to heal now. :wink:

Thanks for sharing the link.

Christian

I was diving around Two Harbors Monday and Tuesday. Later in the day Tuesday it started getting pretty sloppy. Good size ground swell on the ride home. Glad I'm not making the crossing now......

Hope everybody stays safe 'till is calms down.

Tobin

riguerin:
Further south, Swami's and Black's were getting double - triple overhead + sets. Check out the pics on SD Tribune site: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20051221-1316-bn21wave4.html.

Hey Rick, I was down at Tamarack in Carlsbad (a few miles North of Swami's) for lunch today about noon - during high tide. PCH was jammed with cars and people watching the surf - easily double overhead sets... Tamarack parking lot was closed with police stationed at the entrance, waves were washing over the breakwater and into the lot! A lone surfer was working the waves but he was being watched real closely by a lifeguard on a jet ski just past the surfline. It was totally cool :D!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom