Padi Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkbook1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I see the pre-req for the course is CPR and First Aid. I'm an ER nurse so I have BLS (Basic Life Support for the healthcare provider), ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support), PALS (Pediatric advanced Life Support) and TNCC (Trauma Nurse Core Curriculum). All of these review CPR and first aid and then some. The first three are from the American Heart Association. Do I still have to take a basic CPR and First Aid class?

I see the pre-req for the course is CPR and First Aid. I'm an ER nurse so I have BLS (Basic Life Support for the healthcare provider), ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support), PALS (Pediatric advanced Life Support) and TNCC (Trauma Nurse Core Curriculum). All of these review CPR and first aid and then some. The first three are from the American Heart Association. Do I still have to take a basic CPR and First Aid class?

The simple answer is check with your local shop. In the end they make the final decision, since their instructor is the one signing off on the certification. With that being said, we train Public Servants from all over our state and several northern states as well. And per the current PADI standards, any one holding a Basic EMT or higher certification is exempt from taking the CPR / First Aid / AED course, in PADI terminology the EFR course, with the exception of if they decide to go professional they are required to have the EFR Instructor rating. I am not only a Scuba Instructor (Course Director) I am also a Level 1 EMT Instructor for the State of North Carolina. When I teach rescue students with medical training backgrounds, EMT or higher, I simply make a copy of their credentials and put it in their student folders. Lastly, what I find interesting is, PADI will allow, per their standards, EMT's and higher to assist with teaching in the EFR certification including CPR / First Aid / AED, yet they leave it up to the individual instructors on whether or not they will certify a Rescue Student who does not hold the EFR certification even if they are certified EMT's, Paramedics, Nurse, Doctor, etc. Basically they are saying they are qualified to teach the course but not qualified to earn the certification. PADI (Put Another Dollar In)

P.S. If you are close to North Carolina, come see us, I will guarantee if you are a certified nurse, we will make sure you are exempt from taking the EFR course, and you can go straight to Rescue.

Ah the lunatics are running the asylum again :)

I'm afraid I can't answer for PADI, but with CMAS I was allowed to substitute my workplace H&S registered first aid certificate in place of the BLS and CPR. So with your background it should be a no-brainer that your certificates and skills are way above what you would learn on a PADI (or any other agency) FA and CPR course, and should be a suitable alternative. - P

@kkbook1 I had an Emergency Room Nurse take a Rescue Class with me a couple of years ago. She had the same questions. She had the qualifications, but no "certifications" as such. A simple call to PADI by me go the answer we needed.

The issue was two-fold:

1. She had many qualifications, but no “certifications” as such; and,

2. PADI’s Rescue course Standards requires a current (within 24 months) First Aid with CPR/AED certifications as a pre-requisite for the Rescue course.

The Instructor and the Facility, cannot deviate from the Standards. To do so puts them in a position of disciplinary action from PADI.

As a consequence I contacted PADI directly about this, before we progressed any further.

The PADI training consultant I talked to provided a simple solution that will be acceptable to PADI.

The simple solution was for her to provide a letter from her Supervisor/hospital, etc., on department or hospital letterhead stating that her qualifications, courses, and work experience were more than adequate to satisfy the knowledge and skill development received in a Standard First Aid course.

That letter satisfied the documentation requirements from PADI’s perspective and allowed us to deviate from the Standards.

That was how I handled it. It was simple, required little effort, and got nobody's "nose out of joint".

Great answer, Bill.

All courses have standards from my experience much of the difference between an instructor and a great instructor is their ability to make sure standards are met while tailoring the course to the students.

When an instructor or student can't put ego aside to work together to meet the requirements of the course you get the "cert mill" "box checker" "0 to hero master diver" or "dive natzi" we hear about.

A CPR and First Aid instructor from my hospital got a pass from the dive shop after a simple telephone conversation.

Good luck with the course!

GJS

The simple answer is check with your local shop. In the end they make the final decision, since their instructor is the one signing off on the certification. With that being said, we train Public Servants from all over our state and several northern states as well. And per the current PADI standards, any one holding a Basic EMT or higher certification is exempt from taking the CPR / First Aid / AED course, in PADI terminology the EFR course, with the exception of if they decide to go professional they are required to have the EFR Instructor rating. I am not only a Scuba Instructor (Course Director) I am also a Level 1 EMT Instructor for the State of North Carolina. When I teach rescue students with medical training backgrounds, EMT or higher, I simply make a copy of their credentials and put it in their student folders. Lastly, what I find interesting is, PADI will allow, per their standards, EMT's and higher to assist with teaching in the EFR certification including CPR / First Aid / AED, yet they leave it up to the individual instructors on whether or not they will certify a Rescue Student who does not hold the EFR certification even if they are certified EMT's, Paramedics, Nurse, Doctor, etc. Basically they are saying they are qualified to teach the course but not qualified to earn the certification. PADI (Put Another Dollar In)

P.S. If you are close to North Carolina, come see us, I will guarantee if you are a certified nurse, we will make sure you are exempt from taking the EFR course, and you can go straight to Rescue.

Thanks for the informative answer! That helped a lot. I'm actually in NC (Raleigh/Durham area) so may consider coming to visit!

Thanks everyone! That helped a lot. Appreciate the quick responses. I love the dive community!

Thanks for the informative answer! That helped a lot. I'm actually in NC (Raleigh/Durham area) so may consider coming to visit!

Your Welcome, let us know if we can help in any way and definitely come, by we are open 7 days a week from 8am till 8pm. And on all gear sells we give 10% off to all Public Servants, including Military, Police, Fire, and Medical Professionals. Take care and Happy Diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom