Rescue Course and DEMP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OmarM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey folks,

I hope you’re all staying sane while cooped up nowadays. Dutch springs is opening to divers sometime in July, and I’m hoping to get my rescue cert done then. I live in the area as well.

I’m looking for recommendations for a shop/instructor to conduct my rescue diver course. The cert agency does not matter to me, unless you believe a specific one is significantly better.

Additionally, rather just completing the basic First aid and cpr requirements I figured the DAN DEMP would be a more thorough and worthwhile course, and I’m also looking for recommendations on instructors for that.

Thank you in advance!

DEMP is a good course. If you have access to DFA Pro it is even better.
Both satisfy the requirements for a Rescue class.
And all are a bit restricted now because of the COVID-19 constraints in place. For example, DAN's recommendations are here: Divers Alert Network
Notice the last sentence:
"Pairing family members or people living in the same household for skill development is advised."
You might want to consider having a semi-private class for you and your partner.....

The social-distancing requirements for a Rescue class make it very difficult. PADI has 9 pages of recommendations for PADI Pros for how to manage in these times.

In my opinion, the entire medical and rescue training sequence really needs to be put off for a while...

Good luck.

Hi Omar, I'd give Andrea at Dutch Springs a call at 610-759-2270 and get it set up. They have some great instructors there (Dave Thatcher, Bob, Chet) and you can rent any gear required all on site, meaning less stuff to lug around.

Hi Omar, I'd give Andrea at Dutch Springs a call at 610-759-2270 and get it set up. They have some great instructors there (Dave Thatcher, Bob, Chet) and you can rent any gear required all on site, meaning less stuff to lug around.

Oh cool! I didn’t know Dutch actually did instruction! Thanks.

DEMP is a good course. If you have access to DFA Pro it is even better.
Both satisfy the requirements for a Rescue class.
And all are a bit restricted now because of the COVID-19 constraints in place. For example, DAN's recommendations are here: Divers Alert Network
Notice the last sentence:
"Pairing family members or people living in the same household for skill development is advised."
You might want to consider having a semi-private class for you and your partner.....

The social-distancing requirements for a Rescue class make it very difficult. PADI has 9 pages of recommendations for PADI Pros for how to manage in these times.

In my opinion, the entire medical and rescue training sequence really needs to be put off for a while...

Good luck.

Thanks for the rec on the DFA. I’ll check it out.

Somehow I forgot about the social distancing aspect. I think you’re right; best to wait on this rescue course for now. Thanks again!

I started DFA for Pros back in February with the online learning portion. Skills development was scheduled for after I returned from a work trip that took up the month of March. The shop still has no ETA when we'll be able to do the skills work and finish the course.

Nice to have online to focus on while in lockdown, but I frankly suck at learning from books, so I'll need to review all of it before the hands on. Not a really efficient approach to it, and I definitely wish I would've waited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom