PADI Rescue - Bait & switch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ:
Ok.. sorry to resurrect this... and please be patient becuase I am a newbie. My husband and I were planning on taking Rescue as probably spring quarter (we wanted to take it at a local college, with an LDS. We really like the instructor and doing it through a school gives you TONS of pool time because you have to stretch the class out a whole quarter.) We are planning on doing this mostly just to get some pool time and because we need to keep learning things! But now I am confused.

We are AOW, but we can't take rescue now? Can someone explain in plain english what the 'new deal' is? Do I understand you need to be CPR cert? just normal CPR, because we both have that (or can get it renewed easily). I just got confused by all of the accronyms. SORRY!!!! I know I could probably dig through and figure it all out, but wondered if one of you patient teaching types could 'dumb it down' for me. :)

Thanks so much!
You need both Primary and Secondary Care, which translates to CPR and First Aid. CPR by itself is not enough. This has always been a requirement for PADI Rescue. The difference in the new program is when it is required. In the past you could start/complete your rescue training but would not get the card until you had your primary/secondary care. Now you have to have them before you start the course.

It's not a major deal. Your non-PADI CPR will work fine as long as it is current. If you don't have first aid you will have to take that at the very least.

James

scubadoguk:
20 dives before you start the class is the primary stopper, if you have 20 dives the cpr is required to be certified not required to take the course, cpr should be within 24 months or current.
Other than that ask the instructor why you can't he would tell you if not go elsewhere.

From the new Instructor Manual:

Prior to Knowledge Development Presentation Two and Rescue Training Session Two, the PADI Rescue Diver course student diver must successfully complete a sanctioned course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR-Primary Care) and basic first aid (Secondary Care) within the past two years (24 months).

To participate in the rescue training sessions in open water, and to participate in the open water rescue scenarios, the student must be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or have a qualifying certification from another training organization. This is defined as proof of certification beyond entry level (at least two certifications total), with proof of 20 or more logged dives documenting experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.

So...bottom line is you need the CPR and First Aid to take the course and you only need 20 dives if you are not a PADI Advanced Open Water diver.

randyjoy:
So...bottom line is you need the CPR and First Aid to take the course ...
Some shops include this in the class (for a price, of course). Ask yours if they do.

My two cents ... I just finished the "old" Rescue course and took the separate EFR and O2 provider courses. It sounds like there's been a shift to combine those 3 at the expense of two full days of ocean exercises in the Rescue course. I found the "hands on" to be the best part of the Rescue course. Any other thoughts? Bottomline, it's all good.

Read post #22. It's good advice.

randyjoy:

Prior to Knowledge Development Presentation Two and Rescue Training Session Two, the PADI Rescue Diver course student diver must successfully complete a sanctioned course in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR-Primary Care) and basic first aid (Secondary Care) within the past two years (24 months).

I too am considering the EFR & Rescue courses. Pardon me if I appear dense, but would EFR cover the requirements above? I have the DAN O2 from earlier this year, if that is a factor...

garyfotodiver:
Read post #22. It's good advice.

And that would be your second attempt at giving unbiased advise right Gary? :wink:

gezuvor,
Yes, EFR is intended to meet the CPR & First Aid requirement of the Padi rescue course. From the Padi website:

Emergency First Response (EFR) is the fastest-growing international CPR, Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) and First Aid training organization. Dedicated to training the lay rescuer, EFR courses encompasses adult, child and infant CPR skills, provides AED and First Aid training, and feature an outstanding First Aid at Work component. The company’s award-winning programs and state-of-the-art training materials make it a favorite among divers around the world.

Many divers take the Emergency First Response courses to meet program prerequisites, such as PADI Rescue Diver, or as preparation for becoming a PADI Divemaster. However, most have also found the EFR program to be important in every day life. They have taken a significant step in emergency preparedness, and feel confident that they can provide care should an emergency situation arise.

randyjoy:

To participate in the rescue training sessions in open water, and to participate in the open water rescue scenarios, the student must be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or have a qualifying certification from another training organization. This is defined as proof of certification beyond entry level (at least two certifications total), with proof of 20 or more logged dives documenting experience in deep diving and underwater navigation.

So...bottom line is you need the CPR and First Aid to take the course and you only need 20 dives if you are not a PADI Advanced Open Water diver.
Are we talking "new" rescue to be taught or "old" as far as I know the June 2005 is when the new standards kick, old course only requires a CPR cert within 24 months.
But you are right 20 dives in NOT a requirment if you are Advanced O/W PADI diver sorry about my error.

scubadoguk:
Are we talking "new" rescue to be taught or "old" as far as I know the June 2005 is when the new standards kick, old course only requires a CPR cert within 24 months.
LDS can switch to "new" any time they want as of now. PADI set the June 2005 date to allow LDS to use up old inventory of manuals and stuff, but some (mine, for example) are immediately on the "new".

Rick Inman:
LDS can switch to "new" any time they want as of now. PADI set the June 2005 date to allow LDS to use up old inventory of manuals and stuff, but some (mine, for example) are immediately on the "new".
very true and I am glad for you :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom