PADI OW Final Exam Questions that are either wrong or just bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I pointed out that some of the PADI OW questions and answers are possibly incorrect and/or not reflective of real life diving situations?

Oh yeah…those questions that you paraphrased and can’t remember exactly what the answer choices were…on an e-learning exam that your partner was taking that you shouldn’t have had access to, because you were not taking the course because you already are an experienced diver…

…yeah, it’s PADI’s fault of course. I get it now.

-Z

Oh yeah…those questions that you paraphrased and can’t remember exactly what the answer choices were…on an e-learning exam that your partner was taking that you shouldn’t have had access to, because you were not taking the course because you already are an experienced diver…

…yeah, it’s PADI’s fault of course. I get it now.

-Z
I remembered enough about the questions and answers that several well educated, highly skilled and experienced members not only understood, but agreed with me that the PADI questions and answers do not reflect real life diving experiences and that a diver viewing such questions might provide a better, more reasonable answer but still be considered "wrong" by PADI standards- which could use some improvement.

As far as my paraphrasing goes, several members who have access to the exam materials and offered up the exact wording.

Perhaps you need to read the thread again, but go a bit slower. No one is rushing you.

I remembered enough about the questions and answers that several well educated, highly skilled and experienced members not only understood, but agreed with me that the PADI questions and answers do not reflect real life diving experiences and that a diver viewing such questions might provide a better, more reasonable answer but still be considered "wrong" by PADI standards- which could use some improvement.

As far as my paraphrasing goes, several members who have access to the exam materials and offered up the exact wording.

Perhaps you need to read the thread again, but go a bit slower. No one is rushing you.

Perhaps you need to understand that the exam is specific to the course material and while things might be done different in real world diving scenarios that does not matter in the context of the PADI course(s) and exam(s)….this was explained in one form or another numerous times but you don’t seem to accept it because it either does not support your narrative or perhaps your read through too quickly…I implore you to take your own advice and reread the discussion thread again but go a bit slower this time…and while you are at it, perhaps you should read through the PADI course material and find the correct exam answers, they are all in there….No one is rushing you.

-Z

Huh?

You think that the consensus of this thread is that you were right all along?

It sure looks to me that is was clearly shown that your objections were flat out wrong.

Huh?

You think that the consensus of this thread is that you were right all along?

It sure looks to me that is was clearly shown that your objections were flat out wrong.
"Several" experienced divers in agreement with me does not mean "consensus".

I got sufficient feedback that I'm comfortable with my position that at least some of the concerns I raised about the PADI OW and EANx exams were valid. Just because PADI teaches something in the course and basis their exam questions and answers on it doesn't mean it accurately reflects scuba diving in "the real world".

A large group of people such as those who frequent this forum will never be completely in agreement about anything.

Perhaps you need to understand that the exam is specific to the course material and while things might be done different in real world diving scenarios that does not matter in the context of the PADI course(s) and exam(s)….this was explained in one form or another numerous times

-Z
In other words, you agree that PADI doesn't necessarily teach and test on situations that occur in the "real diving world". In other words, the PADI test questions and answers, as they pertain to diving in a practical sense, are wrong.

That is precisely the reason I started this thread.

So if you read the PADI manual and then take the exam, the questions are fairly straight forward (especially as a lot of the correct answer are verbatim in the manual). The PADI course (heck every agency course) does cover what needs to be covered.

I hope we can agree that the primary lessons for (this list will be incomplete) are:
1. Always measure the cylinder you are breathing. I'm not a fan of watching someone else do it, but whatever.
2. Calculate the MOD at a ppO2 of 1.4.
3. Label the cylinder with your name, the date, the O2 percentage, and the MOD.
4. Program your dive computer to the O2 content.
5. Adhere to the MOD always.
6. If you have a good RMV/SAC, then enjoy longer dive times and/or shorter intervals between dives.

Now dive centers will sometimes (more so in the US) will require you to fill out paperwork.

Ultimately, I point to those things above. I may have missed something, but that's the gist of it.

Now real world experience may get you to answer some of the questions differently. That's fine, but that doesn't mean the PADI questions are incorrect. I wouldn't want to have to write a test that addresses every single possibility that people can come up with that are perfectly valid. PADI has a preferred way of doing things and that's okay. That does not make it wrong. They have a reasoning for their answers that an instructor should be able to answer. I would suggest always reading an agency's material before taking an exam.

While posts like these do end up with some circling of wagons, it is always good to think about it if emotion can be left out of the conversation. I think people reading and not participating in this thread, particularly newer divers, will hopefully get something out of this discussion.

In other words, you agree that PADI doesn't necessarily teach and test on situations that occur in the "real diving world". In other words, the PADI test questions and answers, as they pertain to diving in a practical sense, are wrong.

I do not tacitly agree with what you state.

Just because your diving experience has led you to procedures that are different than what PADI teaches does not make them wrong. The world is not black and white as you seem to want to paint it.

"Several" experienced divers in agreement with me does not mean "consensus".

I got sufficient feedback that I'm comfortable with my position that at least some of the concerns I raised about the PADI OW and EANx exams were valid. Just because PADI teaches something in the course and basis their exam questions and answers on it doesn't mean it accurately reflects scuba diving in "the real world".

A large group of people such as those who frequent this forum will never be completely in agreement about anything.

You could have gotten the same feedback staring and speaking to yourself in a mirror.
You have an obvious narrative that you want to support and have rejected any evidence/advice to the contrary of what you think/believe. That constitutes a failure on your end with regard to rational discourse.

You can believe that PADI is wrong and that you are correct, but your beliefs don’t necessarily have anything to do with what is true in this world.

And there are folks here that can attest that I am not a PADI apologist.

Thanks for an insightful discussion thread.

Cheers,
-Z

One of them shows a still image with a diver giving a hand signal with a horizontal hand across the chest.
A photograph is two-dimensional. Your illusion of grandeur has been dispelled.

I think your mistake is that you are basing your interpretation of what occurs in the “real world” on your own experience only. The PADI questions are not based on fantasy—the answers are objectively reasonable—but are, however, based on the world as it is presented in the course materials. It’s a real enough world for its intended purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom