PADI Open Water Diver DVD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone! I've recently decided to get certified with PADI.
I thought I could borrow my brother "PADI Open Water Diver" DVD for my class, however I just found out that they came out with a new one in 2015. Does anyone know how significant the difference are between the two versions are? Would I be okay with the previous version?

Hi everyone! I've recently decided to get certified with PADI.
I thought I could borrow my brother "PADI Open Water Diver" DVD for my class, however I just found out that they came out with a new one in 2015. Does anyone know how significant the difference are between the two versions are? Would I be okay with the previous version?

How old and irrelevant is the (months old) one according to PADI?

I just got my PADI OW package, came with log book, some diver sticker, text book, and some advertisements for some stuff all in a waterproof package... no dvd for me I guess lol

You need to ask your Instructor if they are ok with you watching the old video. Probably should go with the new video as it is formatted to match the new book and is a little different.

PADI made some fundamental changes to Open Water in the last couple of years - so these will be reflected in the new DVD. There are new skills, new terminology etc.

Aren't the correct materials included in the cost of your Open Water course?

PADI made some fundamental changes to Open Water in the last couple of years - so these will be reflected in the new DVD. There are new skills, new terminology etc.

Aren't the correct materials included in the cost of your Open Water course?

When I went to go pick up my materials which were supposed to be free, they informed me that I would have to pay for the DVD, but I didn't bring money with me so I just figured I'd use my brother's, but his is old.

The situation can vary from region to region, or shop to shop, but there's no requirement by PADI for you to purchase the DVD. Standards only state that the student must have "a manual to keep and take away"... not a DVD. In many places, the dive school just show the DVD to students in the classroom.

However, shops have a choice which type of 'crew-pack' they sell to students to support their courses. Some come with a DVD, others don't. Some come with electronic planners, tables or a supplement book for using dive computers.

I'm surprised that the school is selling you a stand-alone DVD, not included in a crew-pack.

My personal feeling is that I dislike 'surprise' costs. If you weren't forewarned about having to purchase a DVD, when the course cost was quoted to you... then I think you have a justification for disputing the necessity of buying one. That's a customer service, not agency standards, issue though...

The situation can vary from region to region, or shop to shop, but there's no requirement by PADI for you to purchase the DVD. Standards only state that the student must have "a manual to keep and take away"... not a DVD. In many places, the dive school just show the DVD to students in the classroom.

However, shops have a choice which type of 'crew-pack' they sell to students to support their courses. Some come with a DVD, others don't. Some come with electronic planners, tables or a supplement book for using dive computers.

I'm surprised that the school is selling you a stand-alone DVD, not included in a crew-pack.

My personal feeling is that I dislike 'surprise' costs. If you weren't forewarned about having to purchase a DVD, when the course cost was quoted to you... then I think you have a justification for disputing the necessity of buying one. That's a customer service, not agency standards, issue though...
Likewise - I think shops should be up front about their costs. The analogy would be taking a car to the garage and them replacing your wipers and fluid without asking and then hitting you with a charge for it.

Can only come from my own experience but the shop I did my OW water course with were 100% up front about all costs.

When I went to go pick up my materials which were supposed to be free, they informed me that I would have to pay for the DVD, but I didn't bring money with me so I just figured I'd use my brother's, but his is old.

Are you sure you were not going to be watching the video in a class setting?

We do not include the DVDs in the crew packs (and therefore have to charge more) because the students watch the video as part of the class session.

If they insist on their own copy, the shop would be more than happy to sell it to them

Back
Top Bottom